What to do with Madrone?

During the snow and ice storm last week I lost a number of trees, including a few 6-10" diameter Madrone trees. Is there anything more interesting to do with these then cut them into firewood? I have heard that this wood splits very easily. It is worth trying to make lumber or ???

Regards, Bob Headrick

Reply to
Bob Headrick

It seems to have some redeeming value... Tom >Subject: What to do with Madrone?

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Madrone, Madrona or Arbutus (as it's known in West Coast Canada) is a very dense wood that's nice to use for small projects such as handles and small boxes. Some have used the wood for larger projects (panels in "art" pieces etc.) but all-in-all it's not widely used.

Generally if it's going to split it already has. It tends to split microseconds after it's been cut. I have a piece downstairs cut from a friends tree and while I'd love to use it...it's split.

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:39:23 -0800, "Bob Headrick" brought forth from the murky depths:

Slab and stack it, Bob. Here is one man who uses it:

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment
Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Bob -

Madrone is a KNOWN bad wood. I can't reveal too much to you here, but the safest thing that you can do, for yourself, your family and our country is to have the wood milled out at 5/4 and ship it directy to me.

I would show you the memo regarding the dept of homeland security on this, but, well, I'd have to kill you.

Ship the wood. No one gets hurt.

The-Powers-That-Be (hiding under your bed)

Reply to
john moorhead

Bob,

I'll vouch for John. I know it sounds silly, but I shipped him my new DJ-20 jointer - I had no idea it was a such a explosive device. I sleep so much better knowing I did the right thing!

Reply to
mttt

M -

Yep, it got here JUST IN TIME - you were VERY lucky. While we were able to run most of our decontamination protocols, the security level, for the public good, must remain at orange.

This means an indefinate quarantine is in order, again, for safety. The warehousemen at the Department of Homeland Security apparently can't find the the keys for their secure storage (someone named "Abdul" siad he was from the CIA and needed to make copies, then vanished - wierd, huh?)

Anyway, upon learning of Dept's storage problem, I graciously volunteered to store the jointer in my sho-garage....

For America, anything...

John Moorhead Lakeport, CA

PS: You didn't send the extra knives...

Reply to
john moorhead

Makes great flooring, cabinets, trim etc.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

It's a great turning wood, but can be a challenge to dry successfully. I've heard pieces drying as I worked a few feet away. Sounds like Rice Krispies.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Many years ago I made several small madrone turnings. Candlesticks, darning eggs, etc. I turned it green and then soaked it immediately in Raz (Rez?), a wood sealant/finish. They all dried without checks, but the shapes tended to change quite a bit in the process. Madrone is one of the most beautiful woods around if you can get it properly dried.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

It makes great turning stock.

Dave