what to do with a burned out house

the house did not look that bad from the outside

but i read that it was gutted inside by fire although i did not see any broken windows or smoke damage

not sure why they overflowed the bin and did not move the shredder

also it is not really a very good thing for the env

you now have created a pile of mixed waste

unless you are in austria and can dump it all into your plasma based electric generation facility you just create more landfill

but it does minimize demo time

Reply to
Electric Comet

Do you not see the 3 window openings on the second floor that don't have any panes in them? How about the 4th one that only has (cracked) glass at the top?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ask somewhere else. This newsgroup is for woodworking.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I have a cabin that I almost lost in the Butte [California] fire last year. Several hundred homes nearby were lost.The residue from these houses cannot just be put in an ordinary land fill or burried on site. CA has two special ones for the entire state. All of the residue had to be trucked to one of these. There were multitudes of 10 wheeler and 18 wheeler trucks going fotr months. One Sunday morning as we were comming home, in an 8 mile stretch of road, we counted over 80. Unless you are involved in a fire you tend to think that once the fire is out it is over. It is almost a year now and there are still multiple clean up operations going on.

CP

Reply to
MOP CAP

Sometimes, it doesn't matter how little a house is burned, you can't get ri d of the smoke smell, so most folks demo a burned house and rebuild.

My shop was once a rent house, whose back bedroom caught fire and adjacent rooms (more so the ceilings near the AC vents) were charred, with smoke sta ins/damage. After the fire was out, the front of the house still looked *n ormal. Only the back bedroom window showed evidence of fire.

*I say the front looked normal. The old house looked like crap anyway, ba dly needing repairs and a paint job, so normal is a misnomer.

I've gutted the whole house, all but a back bath and utility room. Those r ooms are junk storage, now, but hopefully will finish their remodeling, som eday. *I suppose there have been times, while working on it, that I've sme lled worse than burnt-house smell.

Depending on the damage and location, sometimes you can salvage something.. . at least for shop use.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Definite black smoke stains on/around both vents near peak of roof.

Hard to tell internal damage from smoke/water unless you've been inside.

looks like it was more smoke damage than fire damage

the final pile has very little burnt stuff

but i guess the insurance company gave them the free pass to rebuild so they decided to tear down what looks like a nice farm house

no doubt they think that a new house will be so much better

but it will just a be a new different set of problems

Reply to
Electric Comet

But another fire due to tired wiring won't be one of them.

Reply to
krw

It is not unusual for smoke and water damage to exceed that of the actual fire...

Reply to
bnwelch

Given a choice, I'd rather have a new house with mediocre construction than an old house that needs major upgrading of questionable wiring, plumbing, heating systems.

I say mediocre because that is best you will get from an insurance settlement. If you have some money to add you could get first class.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

depends on what coverage you paid for

rebuilding a house like that can also be a disaster for a family and or a relationship

it can also improve the family and or relationship

can go either way

all in all i would say that this method of demoing a home is far from ideal

down along the southern borders i have seen crews from mexico dismantle a house piece by piece numbering the pieces and stacking on trucks in the order it came off

a crew of 5 or so reduced a house to truck loads and drove it south and rebuilt there

the crew i saw only had two or three trucks so they had to make multiple trips and these were not tractor trailers these were just flat bed trucks

it was less than a week and the house was gone saved the builder a lot of money in disposal fees and the house lives on instead of being buried in a landfill

Reply to
Electric Comet

Apples and Oranges

In one case they moved an (I assume) house that was in livable condition before and after. In the other, they demo-ed a house that had been on fire.

You posted a video of the outside of a "what looks like a nice farm house". You also said "I did not see any broken windows or smoke damage". You can't see smoke damage from the outside and it appears that you totally missed that the upstairs windows were either missing completely or extensively damages.

In other words, you really have no clue as to the condition of the interior. To imply that it would have been a better idea to move the house makes no sense considering that you have no idea about what was salvageable and what wasn't.

Reply to
DerbyDad03