you now have created a pile of mixed waste
unless you are in austria and can dump it all into your plasma based electric generation facility you just create more landfill
but it does minimize demo time
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 1:27:49 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

Do you not see the 3 window openings on the second floor that don't have any panes in them? How about the 4th one that only has (cracked) glass at the top?
On 2016-07-22 18:02:15 +0000, DerbyDad03 said:

I have a cabin that I almost lost in the Butte [California] fire last year. Several hundred homes nearby were lost.The residue from these houses cannot just be put in an ordinary land fill or burried on site. CA has two special ones for the entire state. All of the residue had to be trucked to one of these. There were multitudes of 10 wheeler and 18 wheeler trucks going fotr months. One Sunday morning as we were comming home, in an 8 mile stretch of road, we counted over 80. Unless you are involved in a fire you tend to think that once the fire is out it is over. It is almost a year now and there are still multiple clean up operations going on.
CP

Ask somewhere else. This newsgroup is for woodworking.
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:27:49 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

Sometimes, it doesn't matter how little a house is burned, you can't get ri d of the smoke smell, so most folks demo a burned house and rebuild.
My shop was once a rent house, whose back bedroom caught fire and adjacent rooms (more so the ceilings near the AC vents) were charred, with smoke sta ins/damage. After the fire was out, the front of the house still looked *n ormal. Only the back bedroom window showed evidence of fire.
*I say the front looked normal. The old house looked like crap anyway, ba dly needing repairs and a paint job, so normal is a misnomer. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/4033313690/in/photostream
I've gutted the whole house, all but a back bath and utility room. Those r ooms are junk storage, now, but hopefully will finish their remodeling, som eday. *I suppose there have been times, while working on it, that I've sme lled worse than burnt-house smell.
Depending on the damage and location, sometimes you can salvage something.. . at least for shop use.
Sonny
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:24:46 -0700, Electric Comet

Definite black smoke stains on/around both vents near peak of roof.
Hard to tell internal damage from smoke/water unless you've been inside.
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:37:53 -0400 ads wrote:

looks like it was more smoke damage than fire damage
the final pile has very little burnt stuff
but i guess the insurance company gave them the free pass to rebuild so they decided to tear down what looks like a nice farm house
no doubt they think that a new house will be so much better
but it will just a be a new different set of problems
On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 17:18:06 -0700, Electric Comet

But another fire due to tired wiring won't be one of them.
On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 8:21:19 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

It is not unusual for smoke and water damage to exceed that of the actual fire...

Given a choice, I'd rather have a new house with mediocre construction than an old house that needs major upgrading of questionable wiring, plumbing, heating systems.
I say mediocre because that is best you will get from an insurance settlement. If you have some money to add you could get first class.
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 07:08:25 -0400

depends on what coverage you paid for
rebuilding a house like that can also be a disaster for a family and or a relationship
it can also improve the family and or relationship
can go either way
all in all i would say that this method of demoing a home is far from ideal
down along the southern borders i have seen crews from mexico dismantle a house piece by piece numbering the pieces and stacking on trucks in the order it came off
a crew of 5 or so reduced a house to truck loads and drove it south and rebuilt there
the crew i saw only had two or three trucks so they had to make multiple trips and these were not tractor trailers these were just flat bed trucks
it was less than a week and the house was gone saved the builder a lot of money in disposal fees and the house lives on instead of being buried in a landfill
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 11:15:23 AM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

Apples and Oranges
In one case they moved an (I assume) house that was in livable condition before and after. In the other, they demo-ed a house that had been on fire.
You posted a video of the outside of a "what looks like a nice farm house". You also said "I did not see any broken windows or smoke damage". You can't see smoke damage from the outside and it appears that you totally missed that the upstairs windows were either missing completely or extensively damages.
In other words, you really have no clue as to the condition of the interior. To imply that it would have been a better idea to move the house makes no sense considering that you have no idea about what was salvageable and what wasn't.