What to do with $2500

Page 1 of 2
Let's just say I had about $2500 to spend on my starter shop, what would people buy. Here is what I have
Power Tools. A craftmsan 10" table saw with a crappy fence and a burnt out 1HP motor. A Floor length drill press. No problems thus far. New Hitachi Compound Miter saw. Ryobi router ROS, Belt Sander, palm sander A few drills. A old scroll saw that I've never used. A tiny old, old shop vac.
Hand tools: A nice Lei-Neilson dovetail saw The normal things like hammers, screw drivers, etc. A record low angle block plane. A old Stanley Jack plane that needs a new blade, and maybe a new frog. A decent collection of bar clamps 24"-6' Well see what my wife gets for christmas. I've asked a bunch of basic woodworking hand tools to round out the collection( sharpening stones, compound bevels, marking gauge, etc)
Now that the table say motor is dead I'm thinking of replacing that with a cabinet saw. I'd like to see a 6" jointer, 14-17" bandsaw, planer, and maybe a dust collector in the shop. That is about all I have room for. Any other large tools like drum sanders would probably share space on a mobile cart with the planer. The shop is about 20'x10'
FYI - If you live anywhere near the Long Island, NY area, you could contact me. I have a complete woodworking shop that I'm looking to sell. I can't do it anymore due to disability.
Best, Dave
What equipment are you selling?
DSphotog wrote:

Delta X cabinet saw (52' table), good dado set, good blade (forest), mobility kit. Leaves about $400 for a router table, or a jointer (shopmaster or griz). Wait for the next $2500 for a quality bandsaw (laguna 14se) and bench top planer. Sell the Lie Nielsen Dove saw and scroll saw on Ebay and get something more practical like a $150 dust collector (shopmaster) at lowes. It all fits, I know, I have it all and more in a 9' by 20' space. Then, expand the shop. Next $2500 get ..., Next $2500 get ...,Next $2500 get ..., Next $2500 get ...,

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:33:54 GMT, "Marc"

That's huge, dude.
It really depends on what you want to build. My experience is based on "cabinetmaking," as opposed to turning or making boxes, for instance.
I would get the basics right away: table saw and bandsaw. I would get a planer before a jointer if you don't get both (I only have a planer, and I have no intentions of getting a jointer, as I use my Record #07 for that work. Get 220V running to your shop if it isn't already. Get a dust collector.
After that, I would build a bench. Buy any tools along the way that would make the project easier. Mortiser? Drum sander? Mortise chisels and handplanes?
If you have money left, set it aside. Start getting through your project list. Let your projects and your work style determine your shop setup. Some folks like more hand tools, and some more power tools. Don't blow your budget on what you think you'll need, and then find out that it's constraining future projects forcing SWMBO to sign off on a new budget.
-Mike
I love it when people ask questions like this, and we have no idea what you intend on doing, or what your experience is.
Well, I think he asked "what would people buy", not "what should I buy". Therefor if inclined to answer, tell him what you would buy if you already had just the stuff he mentioned. Me, I would go for a Griz 1023 cabinet saw, deck it out with some blades, dado set, etc. (say $1,200). I would get a HF dust collector with some after market 5 micron bags from Penn state (say $190 total), a decent 6" jointer - no particular suggestions as I have never looked (say $500), a DeWalt planer (which one I am not sure) ( about $300 to $500). Then some good ebay stanley planes, some decent brad point and forstner bits, and if money allowed a decent router (which I doubt the Ryobi is).
Then I would be bummed that I had no bandsaw and probably would rethink the whole priority list ;)
Dave Hall
[...]
Well, I don't like that new google interface and that is what caused me to post the same thing 3 times....(yeah, that's the ticket)
Dave Hall

My experience is beginner/intermediate. My intention is furnitiure making for our house. No desire to get into wood turning at the momment. I like to work with handtools, love using my planes. Hope that clears it up.

of rooom...
Table saw 600 Jointer 400 Planer 400 Router Table 200 Router 200 (for router table) Blades/Bits 200 Air Filter 200 Misc 100 Dust Collector 200
I don't have a band saw and have never missed it, but some people love them. Besides, you don't have the budget for it.
If $2500 is your absolute limit, you might want to look for some used equipment and make your own router table.

Hey Toller, what 400 dollar jointer would you get? I thought I had to spend over six for a decent one. I've got a vintage craftsman 4'', but the bed's so short I can't get a decent edge on anything longer than two feet.

I have a Delta 37-190 that I am very happy with. I bought it used for $175, but new they go for about $375.
It did a great job on a 4' tabletop I just glued up.

One other thing, and this is important - get a subscription to a good woodworking magazine like Woodsmith. I began with woodsmith 'cause it has decent projects. That, and the author walks you though their construction. It's very instructive.
Later, a magazine like Fine Woodworking. Less on specific steps you need to do to complete something, more in the area of showing advanced things and a technique for some detail of it.
Much later, a magazine like "Woodwork" where the projects can get so "out there" I've no idea how the builder managed to put them together, but obviously did.
Further, check out the bombe vitrine cabinet on www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com Jeff provides complete instructions for building one, however, like FWW, he does expect that you know something about joining one piece of wood to another.
Scott Lindars wrote:

Set the funds aside. Make the decisions you need to on the furniture you want to build. Once that's done, buy enough wood to get started. Along the way, use the funds you've set aside to buy the tools you need to produce the work at hand.
This is a question you can answer best for yourself. If you don't already have a good solid woodworking bench, I'd suggest building that as a prelude to the house furniture.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Scott Lindars wrote:

Table saw: Jet JWTS-10JF $650 or Ridgid TS3650 $549
Jointer: Sunhill CT-60L $329
Planer: Dewalt DW735 $479 or Dewalt DW734 $379
Dust collector: Delta AP400 $159
Band saw: Grizzly G0555 $375
Router: Porter Cable 693LRPK $152
Total $1943.
Other good things: a Forrest WWII saw blade ($100), a bunch of clamps from Harbor Freight ($50), a few Hirsch firmer chisels and an 8mm mortising chisel from Lee Valley, a couple of machinists squares, a hook rule.
Sorry ... %^$^ new Google interface causing me problems, too. Last message is blank to me ... so to repost:
Table saw: Jet JWTS-10JF $650 or Ridgid TS3650 $549
Jointer: Sunhill CT-60L $329
Planer: Dewalt DW735 $479 or Dewalt DW734 $379
Dust collector: Delta AP400 $159
Band saw: Grizzly G0555 $375
Router: Porter Cable 693LRPK $152
Total $1943.

This is an aside from your topic, but you're in Broward, right? You do know about International Tool, located on Davie Rd Extension just south of 595? Generally the best prices on serious tools in this neck of the woods.
Anyway, as others have alluded to, how fast do you want to build your shop? You could buy a decent contractors saw ($800) and a 14" bandsaw ($550), and a 6" jointer ($600) and a 12" planer ($400) and use up the $2500 that way; or you could buy a higher spec cabinet saw ($1700) and a really good combination blade and a dado set, and use the the whole $2500 there. Then when you find more money, get the others in high-spec sizes as you can.
John