What to do when lint free cloth isn't lint free?

Ok.. I am nearing completion of my first project. Yeah! I put off finishing the project for a long time for fear I would screw it up. The staining seemed to go well. I am now using a gel varnish to put the final coats. I should mention I am making a bed The two side rails went fine. I just put the first coat of varnish on the footboard and notice lint balls from my lint-free cloth. So what do I do now. I guess wait until it dries and then what?
Thanks
stacey
If they are stuck on the surface and not imbedded too far, a light sanding my get them off?
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Complete our tool survey, Win $200! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System - Senco 41XP Finish Nailer (Review Update) - "Orbiter" Drill Accessory - "Vertiacc" Vertical Drill Press Accessory - Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler - Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage ------------------------------------------------------------

clearly wrote:

Figure out the grain direction and take a cabinetmaker's scraper to them WITH the grain. DAMHIKT. <g>
-- Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name. ------------------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Lawyer-free Website Development

I've used gel varnish, and had decent results from it, but this last project, I tried a standard trick with a wiping varnish. Flexner's book has it, but most of the finishing gurus have written about it.
4 oz McCloskey's oil based varnish, 2 oz naptha, in a lidded squeeze bottle, and padded on in a manner not unlike one would use for shellac. No runs, no drips, no errors, dries comparatively quickly. Were you to use this, I'd recommend using a brushing varnish from the same family as the gel varnish you've been using so far, thinned for wiping.
My best lint free cloths are old cloth baby diapers, well washed over their term of use. Old dish towels & t-shirts work well too. When my mother passed away a couple of years ago, my sisters brought me 6 large bags of such cloths, enough to last me nearly forever, I should think.
Some gurus clain to be able to wipe varnish with Viva paper towels. I've not personally tested that theory...
If you're rubbing lightly between varnish coats with 0000 steel wool, the lint should not present a problem.
Patriarch
I used the Sherwin Williams fast dry oil varnish with folded Viva paper towels Jeff Jewitt described if FWW several years ago and found it easy and great. They're smooth, no texture means no beaded up finish unless there's cockpit error. Naptha and varnish 1:1 gets 3 coats a day.
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:34:52 -0500, Patriarch

Stacey, You may want to try pieces of old panty hose (if you've got a spouse that generates it) to wipe on varnish. No lint and you can get those final coats on real smooth. Steve