what to charge?

Page 1 of 2

If this is a repeated thread, forgive me. I post yesterday and it didn't show up on my newsreader. So, here's it again...
I was asked to do a job. It's a outdoor deck with a wood spa. I have not seen it yet. I am invited to see it soon. She said she has "everything", just need a guy to do the work and said will pay for it. Sounds like she wants me to re-stain or apply a protective coating. She did said "stain" for the (outdoor) wood spa. I don't know what it's all like. I don't know if it's dirty or needs sanding (if needed, I will ask her to rent a power presure water spray cleaner or whatever else).
I accepted to do the job. I like to know what is a reasonable hourly rate for this kind of work? Feelings tells me it may be 1 to 3 days work. So, I like to know what to tell her when I am looking at it. Should I estimate a full job, like $250 or $300? Or should I charge hourly rate, 10/hr or 15/hr?
Comments please.
Chuck
CNT wrote:

Around here, if you can get someone to do that kind of work, and get it for 15 bucks an hour, you're doing well. We get people coming by who want 15 bucks an hour to mow our lawn, with our mowers and gas.
Me taking it from this... $15/hr too low?
Chuck

I don't think so. She is supplying all the material and supplies; and I have the sense that you really aren't too expert in this field. $15/hour would be alot to have you do on the job training. Maybe $10.
Lawn-mowing is rather different. It takes at most an hour and has to pay something worthwhile. You are getting several days work here.

toller wrote:

You can come by an do my lawn for an hour's wage any time. You can even use my mowers. Two somewhat uneven acres that takes about six hours plus trim time.

Or did you put grass on it? Oak and maple are much easier.
toller wrote:

Yeah, well...we just decided to naturalize the back half acre, so we're down to 1-1/2 acres. Dodging buildings and trees eats some time, with a 16' x 65' shed, a house and a shop, plus enough trees for most people. The thing I like best about this time of year is the fact that the house cannot be seen clearly from the road, so it doesn't appear quite so shabby looking. The shop can be seen, but I prefer that to look shabby (board and batten, mostly SYP, after nearly a decade, so it has lost its color).
Charlie Self wrote:

count all the trees in the middle.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

A job like that should NOT be priced by the hour. Would YOU like a worker to come to YOUR house and not give you the total price up front? Pick a price that both of you can agree on. Then there's no hard feelings and no surprises unless you do a lousy job. :)
Dave
CNT wrote:

I would also add to make a provision to renegotiate if she starts changing the job as you go along.
DAMHIKT

Would a $300 payment be reasonable for a regular job like this? $400? Ahem? I need a better idea since I really haven't charged people. I helped my brother-in-law with his deck and also his basement (remodel), I charged nothing for it.
I have had someone come over and charge me by the hour, along with an estimate total price (talking like... "well, it would take 2 hours to replace that, so $40 times 2 comes out to $80"). But I have no idea how long this job would take me (my guess was 1 to 3 days).
Chuck

Reasonable? Depends on where in the country you are. Depends on how much work is involved. Depends on what a pro would charge. If you are NOT a pro, you should charge accordingly. You may be jumping the gun in hiring yourself out if you don't even have a ballpark figure in mind for the value of the work. That's one reason I don't solicit WW business; my professional expertise was in two other fields unrelated to woodworking; I could easily price out my work for those jobs but not for furniture building. :)
Dave
CNT wrote:

Oh boy... LOL... I was just merely asking for a price range, not something I will start door knocking asking if I could "work for food".
FWIW, I am in Milwaukee, WI. Yeah, the Harley-Davidson city, huh?
Chuck

CNT wrote:

Check out the going local rate for "handyman services".
Barry

job involves... staining the deck and spa? ok, how big of a deck and spa?
How much prep work? (cleaning, patching, replacing rotted boards, sanding, etc.)
No offence intended, but you have about as much info so far as a body shop would if you asked them "I was in a small accident, how much to fix the damage"
they would probably need a few details, such as type of car, how much damage, etc.... they might even want to look at the car first. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
CNT wrote:

Location is everything. What general area are you talking about?
What's very reasonable here in East Westchester County would probably get dogs chasing you off the property in the rural southeastern US.
Barry

what's a fair price for anything? (house, car, labor, etc.) It's what one person is willing to pay and another is will to accept, right?
I'd suggest looking at the total job before bidding, then use, as a starting point, the least that you would be willing to take to give up the time and energy that you estimate that the job will require..
Add a little to that for the motivation factor, plus travel time & expense, if any, and bid away! IMHO, you need to have a few losses and a few "I can't believe I made that much" jobs to even begin pricing your time/skills accurately..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
The point is really I don't want to give her a sudden massive amount, giving her a heart attach, like "well, lets start with $700" and work our way down. She will immediately slam the door on my face. I know I will explain the estimate can change, "give or take". I'll start with $300 if it looks like a 3 days work. If I find a can of worms, then of course I will point it out to her. She is very understanding friend.
Chuck

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:52:27 -0000, the inscrutable CNT

Friend? DON'T DO THE WORK FOR HER! Working -for-pay- for friends and family is the quickest way to lose both.
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development