What Stacked Dado Size?

I have an older Sears 10" table saw (1940s-50s) (113.27520). What size stacked dado blade is safest to use with this saw - 6", 7" or 8"? This is driven by a 1-1/2 HP motor.

Thanks

Reply to
Michael Hastings

All three sizes will remove fingers with ease; none are "safe". I have always used an 8 inch dado because it can make a deeper cut. Jim

Reply to
Jim

According to the folks at Ridge Carbide, a 1.5 hp should be able to handle an 8" OK. I have one on my saw and it works well. The 6" are meant for the lower powered saws, like the benchtops. Of course I'm talking about a real

1.5 hp, not the Craftsman 6.8 HP with Dynaglide transmission and convertible hardtop.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It has a Dayton 1.5 HP 12 amp TFEC motor.

Reply to
Michael Hastings

I just recently finished a project on which I used my father's Freud 6" dado and really liked it. Therefore I am considering getting one. What situations do need the additional capacity of an 8"? Have you had projects where you needed it and if so, what were they?

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Steve,

You might find the depth of cut limited somewhat if you try to use a 6" with a 3/4" thick tablesaw sled.

YMMV,

JC

Reply to
Joe C.

AHHHHH I hadn't thought about the prescence of a sled. Seeing as how that will be one of the first things to build when the new saw arrives, I am glad you mentioned it.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos