What size tire do I need for my band saw...

I would like to buy one of these non rubber tires for my older band saw. The tire has a diameter of 13 3/4 inch. Do I buy a 12" and then will it stretch? Please give me some advise on this.

It's not quite that simple. There's the width of the tire to consider and whether the wheel is smooth or has rims to hold the tire in place. If you get the last two right, you should be able to buy tires for a 14" saw. I only found aftermarket tires for a couple of the most popular models of saw. Hope your wheel is similar to one of them. Urethane tires have to be heated and stretched quite a bit to fit. I don't think 1/4" in diameter would make much difference. I had enough trouble getting 14" tires on 14" wheels that I don't think you could go from 12" to 13 3/4".
DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him."

cheapie 14" Bandsaw with urethane tires was the difference in thickness of the tires. That threw off several adjustments- like the length of the blade changed (got smaller- outside the adjustment range of the tensioner device) and where the blade goes through the table . Both things were ouside the range of adjustment of the saw. Pat
I never considered that either, I better start looking into these factors. What did you have to do, to make it work?

pmaston wrote:

Try > http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/band_saw_tires.asp or give them a call. They have knowledgeable people there who can help with band saw questions of any genre.     mahalo,         jo4hn

a tape and talk to the person that could supply the tires. Instead , I saw an ad for the tires in a woodworking catalog at a good price and bit. I ended up taking a close look at the rubber tires and found that the tire on the drive wheel- the bottom wheel- had been used up pretty good. There was lots of surface cracks going pretty deep into the depth of the tire. The top one was in pretty good shape. I used some contact cement to get that tire back down smooth and put the 2 thin urethane tires on the bottm wheel. The 2 urethane tires were the same thickness as the original rubber tire. At least I'm back to using the saw...