What sixe of bandsaw?

What size of bandsaw would you recomend for doing general repairs to furniture. Also what make/model would be good. I also want to know about reccomendations on a drill press. I live in Canada. TIA for all replies.

Reply to
Camoman

I bought a 10" from House of Tools and it's good for small work (up to about 5" stock). My next one will be at least a 14" with a riser block for resawing, but I don't have room for it until I build the gar^H^H^Hshop. If you have the room, go for the latter.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

14" wheels is where they get useful.

Bigger if you can (space / money) and / or if you want to do resawing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I bought a 15" unit from BusyBee in Mississauga for the wife last year.It's a decent offshore 2 speed saw. Upgraded to the better fence and the roller guides. Even with the 'cheapy' blades it does a real good job. Total bill was less than 600 Canuks. Wife does furniture repair,toys for kids,etc.She's happy..I'm happy.end of story Jay in Greensville,Ont.

Reply to
j.b. miller
14" bandsaws are pretty good all purpose machines. I also see a lot of 14" Jets, Deltas, etc in the classifieds. These usually have enought power, table size and cutting capacity to do the kind of work you describe. I would add that if you expect to handle large pieces of wood, you might want to go a little larger. The increased table size of an 18" machine, for example, can make handling heavier pieces easier. These bigger saws also come with a little larger motor.

Don't break the bank on a drill press. Just look for a good solid machine. I would recommend a floor model (or similarly constructed benchtop model),

1HP, tilt table, mechanical table lift. Again you will find a lot of these machines made by Delta, Jet, Craftsman or Grizzly for less than $400. If you are willing to go with a used machine they show up in the classifieds for $150 to 200. Short of dropping them on the floor, burning up the motor or continually drum sanding (quill wear) there isn't much you can do to damage them beyond economical repair. When you move up to 2HP, radial heads, etc you can spend a lot of money.
Reply to
RonB

I am wondering the same thing??

One friend tells me that a 12" Craftsman (currently on sale for $329) is a very "good value".

Another friend tells me that anything less than 14" is a mistake.

What do you all think??

Reply to
Glen

Just bought a nearly new 21 year old 14" Rockwell BS for $150. I see no wear on the macine. I bid on a Powermatic 14" for $150 and a Powermatic drill press for $150. I do not know if I will get the bid but I see similar prices at auction sites. I would rather have an old calssic well built than a new tool that is not as stout. Of course part of that old well built is the ability to find parts which Delta, Rockwell and Powermatic should be ok.

As far as size it depends >> What size of bandsaw would you recomend for doing general repairs to

Reply to
Jim Behning