What shape table do I want?

My wife has rearranged the living room furniture, and we need a coffee table. (the one that is there now is just temporary.)

am thinking maybe half a hexagon? Where would you put legs on a shape like that?

I am open to suggestions; thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Oval, glass top. Dave

Teamcasa

I like the table that is there. :)

Reply to
Locutus

I'd consider triangular with the corners knocked off. Maybe a glass middle.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Round, definately round. I have 2 loveseats in an L like yours and my round table works well (about 40" diameter).

Reply to
Max Mahanke

Round... definitely.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

I don't think a half hexagon will look very good because your loveseats are 90 degrees apart. A half octagon would be better.

Check it out:

've gotta love Corel Draw.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

've gotta love Corel Draw.

Very nice. I'd vote for the half-octagon. By the way, is that your pet coyote in the background? Andy

Reply to
Andy

I am not sure I like the result, but the effort is incredible!

Reply to
Suanne Lippman

No...no....no.....

No table needed. Place a nice bear rug in front of that fireplace, light it and a few candles and you'll soon see you don't need no stinkin table.....;-)

Bob S.

but if you must......round.

Reply to
none

I'd suggest locking the sliding door before the coyotes run off with your piano (or is that an organ?)

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Why a typical style: square, triangle, half octagon? Why not kidney bean shaped, a 30-60-90 degree roundish triangle (sleak) with 3 legs indented well from the edges but curving outward, a 3-step tier (each tier random shaped and each a different wood), or a random shape with a subtle colored (not so loud) inlay chess/checker board?

Reply to
Sonny

I think I'm going to puke. No offense intended... different strokes and all. My tastes in furniture run traditional and conservative. The curvy, whacked out modern art masterpieces I see in some of the woodworking magazines are definitely not my flavor. And any piece that's described using the phrase "kidney bean" certainly falls in that category. I suppose one man's art is another man's WTF?

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Kidney bean is just an ahtsy way of referring to secretory organs, without really doing it.

er (kidding, kidding...)

Reply to
Enoch Root

Semi-circle.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Ottomans are very popular today. My first thought was an oval or round coffee table (who likes to hit their shins on a coffee table corner?) If you went with a half-hexagon a leg at each apron intersection makes sense.

Reply to
Phisherman

That was exactly my visual. An equalateral right triangle, Or what my wife, the quilter would call a "half-square triangle"

I vote for legs in the corners ;-)

Reply to
C&S

A half square isn't equilateral [all sides equal], but I think you mean " isosceles right triangle". No matter, it's the end result that counts, and that also depends on choice of wood.

Reply to
Guess who

LOL. Puke, aye? I agree with you Joe. I am also a traditionalist and conservative. Many of my pieces are made direct from the log, not from purchased lumber. I am often enfluenced by nature's art (Wildlife Biology major), not by some picture in a magazine. Where, in nature, do you see a straight line? I also work with driftwood pieces. The Mississippi River delta area often has some fantastic driftwood pieces to offer. The eroded/worn pieces are often already "sanded" relatively smooth for me. I try not to have straight lines or sharp edges on my pieces. I like my own milled lumber's edges to be the natural side of a log. I do not delve in the artsy fartsy stick type furniture, either, except to make some yard decor, etc., with scraps, on occassion. I don't like to throw wood in the trash heap, so I try to make something with everything.

The kidney bean reference (for lack of a better immediate description) is a variation of a rectangle, but slightly curved, allowing for a smooth flowing piece. The idea, of my suggestions, was to experiment with shapes, other than common shapes. The tier shaped reference is based on a driftwood piece I once saw..... woodsy, simple, yet elegant....not resembling modern art at all. I've made a few tiered pieces. And yes, they do have a flavor all their own.

I highly suspect many of us posters, here, have similar ideas about our furniture and other in-home decor likes and dislikes. Modern art is not my style, either.

Reply to
Sonny

If you have pictures of your work, or even works you find inspirational, I'd be interested in seeing them. Hopefully I won't puke ;-)

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta