What shape table do I want?

Page 1 of 2

My wife has rearranged the living room furniture, and we need a coffee table. (the one that is there now is just temporary.)
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/livingroom.jpg
I am thinking maybe half a hexagon? Where would you put legs on a shape like that?
I am open to suggestions; thanks.

Oval, glass top. Dave

I like the table that is there. :)

Thanks, but I made that to donate to a charity auction, so it is just a place to keep it for now. I love butternut; shame its so soft.

I'd consider triangular with the corners knocked off. Maybe a glass middle.

middle.
That was exactly my visual. An equalateral right triangle, Or what my wife, the quilter would call a "half-square triangle"
I vote for legs in the corners ;-)
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:17:30 -0500, "C&S"

A half square isn't equilateral [all sides equal], but I think you mean " isosceles right triangle". No matter, it's the end result that counts, and that also depends on choice of wood.

wife,
So true... need more coffee D'oh.
Round, definately round. I have 2 loveseats in an L like yours and my round table works well (about 40" diameter).

Toller wrote:

Round... definitely.
Joe Barta
I don't think a half hexagon will look very good because your loveseats are 90 degrees apart. A half octagon would be better.
Check it out:
http://www.geocities.com/jcaron2/livingroom2.jpg
You've gotta love Corel Draw.
Josh

http://www.geocities.com/jcaron2/livingroom2.jpg
You've gotta love Corel Draw.
Very nice. I'd vote for the half-octagon. By the way, is that your pet coyote in the background? Andy

That's my stuffed coyote. Interestingly, my dog completely ignores it.

I am not sure I like the result, but the effort is incredible!

wow, is that cherry?
Gary (SA-r-us)
No...no....no.....
No table needed. Place a nice bear rug in front of that fireplace, light it and a few candles and you'll soon see you don't need no stinkin table.....;-)
Bob S.
but if you must......round.

Why a typical style: square, triangle, half octagon? Why not kidney bean shaped, a 30-60-90 degree roundish triangle (sleak) with 3 legs indented well from the edges but curving outward, a 3-step tier (each tier random shaped and each a different wood), or a random shape with a subtle colored (not so loud) inlay chess/checker board?
Sonny wrote:

I think I'm going to puke. No offense intended... different strokes and all. My tastes in furniture run traditional and conservative. The curvy, whacked out modern art masterpieces I see in some of the woodworking magazines are definitely not my flavor. And any piece that's described using the phrase "kidney bean" certainly falls in that category. I suppose one man's art is another man's WTF?
Joe Barta
Joe Barta wrote:

Kidney bean is just an ahtsy way of referring to secretory organs, without really doing it.
er (kidding, kidding...)
--
email not valid