What's your favorite lube for your lathe bed?

Page 2 of 2

I use Minwax paste wax.
--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes

WD-40 isn't really a lubricant, IMO.
--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
On 12/23/2014 10:44 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I've never used anything on mine. In fact I find that I need to clean mine off with Stoddard solvent every now and then to remove the crud. Most likely it is a matter of the materials involved, the geometry of the surfaces, and the adjustments. The ways on my old lathe are heavy 2" chrome-plated DOM steel tubes and the tailstock and banjo move on it pretty well. If my lathe had flat machined ways I'd probably give Drislide a try since it is not terribly messy and seems to stay where it is put.
On 2014-12-24 21:08:05 +0000, BenignBodger said:

Well, Mineral Oil and WD40 are among the worst things, they attract dust and bind to it, not a good thing. I would never use either. I use BoeShield, it provides a slight bit of lube, and protects the bed from corrosion.
I agree that lubing your ways is not the issue, the issue is binding of some sort that a lube job will not fix

Try tightening the washer so it doesn't drop as far away from the ways. The it won't tilt on the bolt, which is likely what's causing the binding.
--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 06:31:40 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg

I find that the BoeShield on my saw is more gummy than lubricating. I haven't had time to strip it off my saw top and try Topkote but it should work well on the way, too. No?

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I think of BoeShield as being "waxy". I haven't regarded as a lubricant, but as a protector (from rust).

Exactly. "Waxy" - good word.

That's the most accurate description for it considering it's, um..... WAX. :-D Paraffin to be precise.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Okay, if you want to be precise, I guess a Piranha is Paraffiny too.. ; )

You need to polish the Boeshield in -wipe off the excess.

The msds only lists odorless mineral spirits and white mineral oil
On 12/27/14 1:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

From their website: "T-9’s unique formulation of solvent carrier and paraffin wax..."
I believe MSDS info only has to list potentially hazardous material and manufactures aren't necessarily compelled to list proprietary ingredients that would reveal patented secrets, etc. Or something like that.
In any case, one MSDS (which you probably read) lists odorless mineral spirits and white mineral oil. You will notice the percentages of those only add up to 71, however.
Another MSDS also lists propane, butane and other petroleum distillates as well as mineral spirits and white mineral oil. These things all only add up to 76% of ingredients and are likely the carriers and propellents. This MSDS also lists Non-Hazardous Components as the remaining 24% ingredients, which we can assume to be the paraffin wax Boeshield claims to be business end of the product.
--

-MIKE-

One MSDS is for "bulk" and the other is for "aerosol". The "bulk" has no propellants.
So up to 24% is Paraffin wax and proprietary non-hazardous materials not listed.
On 12/27/14 3:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Makes sense to me.
--

-MIKE-

On Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:45:34 AM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:

I use a product called "Slipit" which is referred to as a sliding compound. It comes in both spray and wipe on. I use the wipe on that you apply wi th a brush or a wet rag and then wipe it off. Not only does it help things slide easier it provides pretty good rust protection for the lathe bed, sa w tables, drill press, etc. The wipe process is a little messy but does no t take long. I also use it for the sliding mechanisms on our camper slide out rooms.
It is silicon-free and doesn't leave residue. I get mine from Grizzly but I think I have seen it at Woodcraft and other places. A quart can will las t a long time - Loooong time.
RonB