What's your favorite finish for cherry?

I've got a project out of cherry I have to finish and I want to possibly try something other than my usual Watco oil or brushed on Poly. What have others had good luck with when finishing cherry ?
Lenny

It may not be suitable for your project, but I was adding some cherry trim to match some cherry kitchen cabinets and the closest matching finish turned out to be orange shellac. But afterwards, I learned that the cabinet manufacturer sold their stain that matched the cabs. The shellac is a damn close match anyways.....

Well actually, that may be very close to what I want. I was leaning towards using an oil followed by shellac (as I thought I had read something along those lines in an issue of Fine Woodworking)
Thanks for the suggestion. Lenny

Black paint with embedded non-slip textured stone chips.

before or after you pull out the nails?
mac
Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing
wrote in message

Apply putty over the nails,

OH! I thought they were only until the glue dries...
mac
Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing

Our shop built a custom piece of furniture for historical author David McCullough and that is just what he wanted for a finish, (well the black paint part anyway) =0 ) I kid you not ! The idea being that as it wore off it would expose the cherry. ( it may have even got distressed I can't remember) Never did see the finished product as it was taken to be sprayed and then wrapped up for delivery.
Lenny
I have a mixture that I use for all of my cherry projects. What I do is mix 3 parts Zar cherry gel stain with 1 part Woodcote cherry gel stain. You have to mix them thoroughly, but they will give you the color you're looking for.
The real issue with cherry is it has a tendency to blotch, so I always recommend a gel stain. They penetrate more uniformly than other types of (liquid) stain.
After the stain, use a sprayed-on lacquer.
Hope that helps.
Ron

A sealer coat of blonde (sometimes I use a blend of shellacs) shellac followed by Tung oil. Or just shellac built up THEN done with a Tung oil mix. Tom

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Initial coat of 1 part tung oil and 1 part mineral spirits. Flow on enough to keep the surface wet for about 15 minutes, then wipe excess off.
3-4 coats of full strength tung oil, applied in the same way.
If the surface is likely to take some abuse (e.g. a kitchen table), use a mixture of 1/3 tung oil, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 oil based poly instead of the straight tung oil. 3-4 coats applied the same way.
Finish off with a mix of 1/2 tung oil and 1/2 beeswax. (The beeswax needs to be shaved and dissolved in the tung oil while warming in a double boiler or crock pot. Be careful with the heat.)
The result is a durable, easy to repair, finish that will give the cherry a little color, but will also allow it to darken naturally. The stuff just keeps getting more beautiful.
-- Doug
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:05:07 -0500, Douglas Johnson

Thanks to all ! Some very good suggestions,
Lenny
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com opin'd thus:

Minwax Antique Oil http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 393 is what I used on my cherry bed. I got it locally and paid a lot less than $12.99 per qt plus shipping, though . . . .
-Don (making a cherry convertible crib to finish the same way)
--
With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.

Damn !
=0 (

Flat black latex - it never fails to impress :-)
Joe aka 10x