what's wrong with my saw?

My Sears circular saw threw some sparks at the brushes and stopped abruptly. It had been working normally, no symptoms of trouble. The brushes and commutator look fine, no obvious burn marks that I can see. There is current to the brushes. When you press the trigger nothing happens (no groaning or whatever), but if you hold down the trigger and give the motor a spin by hand, it gives a repeat of the sparking, and kind of tries to keep running.
Any ideas as to what might be wrong? If it is a shorted armature, I might be willing to pay for a new one, but getting it serviced would cost at least $50 plus parts, and this makes no sense. The saw is 20 years old and has had some fairly rough use.
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:57:02 -0400, "donald girod"

Got me for an answer to why this saw don't want to run,,,my question is, how did you keep a sears saw running so long? now, don't get me wrong,,,i am an avid sears owner, and im not knocking them in any way. after 20 years of "fairly rough use" i'd say its time to retire it to the big tool chest in the sky, bite the bullet and spend another 100$ and get yourself a new one to make 20 more years of memories with
Traves
Traves W. Coppock wrote in message

Do you mean they're not supposed to last 20 years? I'll have to let my dad's old saw (it must be 30 years old by now) know when I get home tonight.
I put a thin-kerf blade in last summer, and it was like having a new saw for 8 bucks. The tail is held together with electrical tape, but otherwise...
-David
Here is my advice, replace it.
Reminds me of a movie a saw where the guy gets attached to his soccer ball and calls it Wilson...
Daniel Martin