What's with Sears Canada Prices

I was just looking online and a $419 CAN tablesaw is $179 US (both regular prices). Everything on the page was like this. The current exchange rate is 14%, not 234%. Uh, er, I think I'll pick it up next time I'm in the US.

I recall prices like this a few decades ago, before competition made its way above the iron curtain. However, lately most things haven't been too bad. I guess Sears really wants to go the way of Eatons, etc.

Reply to
wdoe999

Chrisgiraffe

The only time to even THINK about buying at Sears is when their monthly "50% OFF!" sale flyer comes round and their prices begin to resemble something competitive. Even then, double check the value of what you're buying.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I have found that a lot of us Canadians are being ripped off. When the exchange rate was 1.60 everything was 60% more expensive plus shipping plus taxes plus duty plus brokerage charges. Now that the exchange rate is now

1.2 (not 1.4 as you have said) many importers are still converting the US price at the 1.6 rate and keeping the profit. They all blame taxes and duty but that did not add so much when the exchange rate was high. Now the price should be the US price at 1.2 exchange plus shipping plus taxes and plus duty plus brokerage charges if any. I find it is often easier to order from the US for many items, only NEVER let them ship via UPS Ground unless you want another rip off in brokerage charges.
Reply to
EXT

Amen to not using UPS. The brokerage can be a huge percentage of the item's value. I'm not a huge fan of Canada Post, however, they only charge $5 for brokerage and most small packages come to your box with no charges at all. Plus UPS keeps coming to the house during the day when I'm not home. I end up having to drive an hour to get the package that I am paying to have delivered to me! I'm sure that Ebay sellers find it a pain when you don't want to use a courier, but it is a big deal.

EXT wrote: I find it is often easier to order from

Reply to
wdoe999