What's up with price of solvents?

As for the thinner I had no choice, but I walked on the fish. The toilet paper is debatable.

Reply to
Seeker

Fred

I thought the subject of this thread was about the price of solvents. If you want to have a discussion on the Iraq war, start a new thread. As for the increasing cost of petroleum-based products, my belief is that it has more to do with supply and demand than a global conspiracy.

todd

Reply to
todd

I get a little tired of hearing about "supply and demand" - just a synonym for greed.

If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm producing?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It would help if you understood that what you demand is not what counts. When someone offers $105 for one of those scarce widgets she's just got to have ... that's the one that counts.

Reply to
George

I buy my solvents in bulk so I haven't seen the price increases. Haven't had to buy any for a while. You really might want to consider buying your lacquer thinner from autobody supply houses. I don't know what regional pricing difference may prevail, but around here a gallon on lacquer thinner was selling at around $9 at places like Ace Hardware and I was buying it in

5 gallon cans for $20-25 depending on which supplier I used. There is a big savings to be had by buying even as small a quantity as a 5 gallon can, versus buying it by the gallon.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks for the advice I will check Ace hardware and auto paint supply houses.

Reply to
Seeker

That's naive. What counts is the 'short-'n-curlies' syndrome. AKA greed. Drug dealers operate on the same principle. Get the user dependant then jack up the price. IOW.. it's the oil company shareholders who want a better ROI. Greed. Artificial shortages. Hoarding. As soon as supplying nations like Iraq, Iran or Venezuela want their fair share of profits to supply the demands of the SUV addicted, they get black-listed via the propaganda machines owned and operated by the cartels/PACs/campaign contributors. Especially when they chose to change their fiat currency to the Euro, in fact sinking the very thing that is holding up the US dollar. Then again, what-the-hell do I know.

Robatoy
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Hello,

Because it is the duty of a Corporation to maximize the shareholders investment. Greed (profit maximization) is the Corporate DNA and only intrinsic rule, all the other rules were imposed on the corporation by goverments who soon discovered that left to it's own, this "legal entity" would act as a sociopath and destroy everything around it.

rent the movie: "The Corporation" for more information.

cyrille

Reply to
Cyrille de Brébisson
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Hello,

Yeah Right... I hear the same things from conservative who say "let non profit take care of social issues, if I paid less taxes, I would give more"...

in reality, if you made, let's say an extra 10%, you would give only 5% more, (in best case scenario), but in the end, you get more money... Greed.

cyrille

Reply to
Cyrille de Brébisson

I didn't have to look at your headers to tell that you are not from the United States.

You should price your product so your production capacity meets demand. Otherwise you are just giving away money. You are certainly free to do that, but if you are a public corporation, you should be fired if you do that.

More profit also means you can expand capacity, therefore reducing your product cost long term while maximizing your profit.

Making money is not a bad word. Make all you can, life is short. If you are trying to make too much, someone else will come in and sell your widget for less. That is the beauty of capitalism.

Reply to
Locutus

Not likely as only 10% of our oil comes from the Middle East although the Middle East sets the prices for oil pretty much world wide.

Reply to
Leon

COMPUTERS, Printers, Electronics in general, Automobiles,

Reply to
Leon

Is viewing the movie "The Corporation" better than an understanding of basic economics?

Movies ALWAYS tell the truth. Don't they?

Jack

-- I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing.

| > If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other | > than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm | > producing? | | Because it is the duty of a Corporation to maximize the shareholders | investment. | Greed (profit maximization) is the Corporate DNA and only intrinsic rule, | all the other rules were imposed on the corporation by goverments who soon | discovered that left to it's own, this "legal entity" would act as a | sociopath and destroy everything around it. | | rent the movie: "The Corporation" for more information. | | cyrille | |

Reply to
John Flatley

IMHO wood working tools are still a bargain. Wood working equipment is cheap compared to other equipment. Try to buy an air conditioning replacement part that is built with the precision of an LV plane and you will spend tons more. I think ww equipment is simply catching up.

Reply to
Leon

So do you "not" have any money set aside for a rainy day or are you greedy?

Reply to
Leon

BZZZZZZT! Wrong!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Did it not cross your mind that savings might have been included in that $100 price?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

yeah, but...room a/c's cost a heck of a lot less now than they did say

30 years ago. I just got an a/c for my shop of $139. One a bit bigger, back in 1971 was more than double that price. Plus, the new one has a remote. :) After my PG&E rebate, my out of pocket for my a/c was a mere $89+tax.

Dave

Reply to
David

Reply to