What's up with price of solvents?

Page 1 of 5

    Went to our local Lowes/Home Depot yesterday to purchase a gallon of mineral spirits and lacquer thinner, WOW! what sticker shock MS= $8/gal LT= $13/gal, I bought last year at MS=$4, LT=$8.     That's not all of it, went to Sams and again was hit with SS, fish has gone up 50% since one month ago, toilet paper seems to rise every trip to Sams at the tune of $1/bundle.

Seeker wrote:

It's called capitalism. :)
Dave

They're called petroleum products.

It's called ' a population being harvested for their money'. IOW, screwed out of their earnings..aside from tax.

It's called making sure the petroleum products stay 'controlled' in production by invading an oil-producing country which was threatening to sell lots of oil, cheap, for Euros. Oil companies want it that way...that is... if you want their campaign contributions....

All controlled by the Trilateral Commission. Or is it the Illuminati? Sorry, I'm a little behind on current kook theory. Why would it have been in Iraq's interest to sell at below the going rate? And wasn't Iraq still under UN sanctions on sale of oil at the time of the start of hostilities? Not counting the UN oil-for-bribes program, of course. You're sure it couldn't be that a) the supply of petroleum is finite and b) worldwide demand is increasing?
todd

The dollar is the de facto world reserve currency, the more dollars there are circulating outside the US, or invested by foreign owners in American assets, the more the rest of the world has to provide the US with goods and services in exchange for these dollars.
If OPEC or Iraq were to decide to only accept euros for its oil then American economic dominance would be over. Not only would Europe not need as many dollars anymore, but Japan which imports over 80% of its oil from the Middle East, not to mention China, would think it wise to convert a large portion of its dollar assets to euro assets. America itself would also have to invest heavily in Euros in order to purchase oil.

Of course you'll never trouble the conspiracy theorists with reality, but we import most of our oil from our hemisphere, or Africa....
Think that would devalue the dollar enough to make use competitive again?

This is the must absurd thing I have ever heard...... the US doesn't even get the majority of it's oil from the Middle East.
Locutus wrote:

Who we buy our oil from isn't really important. The reason other countries choose to save in dollars, to a far greater extent than in any other currency, is very much influenced by the fact that oil is sold in dollars. I'm no conspiracy nut, I'm really not sure what the underlying reasons for going to war were but I'll be glad when it's over.
To say that it isn't important in what denomination the most important commodity is traded in is simply not true though. Anyway, as you were, this is a woodworking group after all :)

Not likely as only 10% of our oil comes from the Middle East although the Middle East sets the prices for oil pretty much world wide.

I can see that an intelligent discussion with you is highly unlikely.

The finger points at those who profit most. It always does.
But I suppose you have your own ideas why Iraq was invaded? Please don't share them... I've heard them already.

I thought the subject of this thread was about the price of solvents. If you want to have a discussion on the Iraq war, start a new thread. As for the increasing cost of petroleum-based products, my belief is that it has more to do with supply and demand than a global conspiracy.
todd
todd wrote:

I get a little tired of hearing about "supply and demand" - just a synonym for greed.
If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm producing?
--
It's turtles, all the way down

It would help if you understood that what you demand is not what counts. When someone offers $105 for one of those scarce widgets she's just got to have ... that's the one that counts.

That's naive. What counts is the 'short-'n-curlies' syndrome. AKA greed. Drug dealers operate on the same principle. Get the user dependant then jack up the price. IOW.. it's the oil company shareholders who want a better ROI. Greed. Artificial shortages. Hoarding. As soon as supplying nations like Iraq, Iran or Venezuela want their fair share of profits to supply the demands of the SUV addicted, they get black-listed via the propaganda machines owned and operated by the cartels/PACs/campaign contributors. Especially when they chose to change their fiat currency to the Euro, in fact sinking the very thing that is holding up the US dollar. Then again, what-the-hell do I know.

Nope, not so. Big new players in the demand side, cartel on the supply with oil, and all kinds of new risks.
It might help you to reflect on the fact that the US is the "greediest" nation in terms of use of all resources. It's US who are offering the $105 per widget, a sum Brazil and Burma (Myanmar) cannot begin to pay for them. If you seek the face of greed, you shave it every morning....

I only shave my *own* Canadian/Dutch face. Who'd let me near them with a razor...especially a straight razor? I have been called lots of things in my life...but greedy? Nope.
Hello,

Because it is the duty of a Corporation to maximize the shareholders investment. Greed (profit maximization) is the Corporate DNA and only intrinsic rule, all the other rules were imposed on the corporation by goverments who soon discovered that left to it's own, this "legal entity" would act as a sociopath and destroy everything around it.
rent the movie: "The Corporation" for more information.
cyrille
Is viewing the movie "The Corporation" better than an understanding of basic economics?
Movies ALWAYS tell the truth. Don't they?
Jack -- I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing.
message | Hello, | | > I get a little tired of hearing about "supply and demand" - just a | > synonym for greed. | > | > If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other | > than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm | > producing? | | Because it is the duty of a Corporation to maximize the shareholders | investment. | Greed (profit maximization) is the Corporate DNA and only intrinsic rule, | all the other rules were imposed on the corporation by goverments who soon | discovered that left to it's own, this "legal entity" would act as a | sociopath and destroy everything around it. | | rent the movie: "The Corporation" for more information. | | cyrille | |
Hello,

Yeah Right... I hear the same things from conservative who say "let non profit take care of social issues, if I paid less taxes, I would give more"...
in reality, if you made, let's say an extra 10%, you would give only 5% more, (in best case scenario), but in the end, you get more money... Greed.
cyrille