What's up with LV forstner bits?

Page 2 of 2

On 18 Nov 2005 07:31:05 -0800, wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

hmm... didn't they morph into woodworker's source?
Doug Payne wrote:

I just checked the bits I bought this past week.
The bevels are indeed slightly sloped, but it's on the order of 1-2 degrees. Certainly not the 10-12 degrees originally mentioned.
Chris
| >I thought the whole point of a forstner bit was that it would drill a | > non-through hole with a flat bottom? (Except for the brad point in the | > middle.) | | | By forstner you do mean forstner and not the saw tooth bits, right. There | are many look alike forstner bits that do not deliver the results of a true | forstner bit. | |
While I agree with your sentiments, I must say that I have both the 'true' forstner and a set of 'look-alike' saw tooth bits and I find both to be excellent for their intended purposes.
The former go up to 1.5 inches and the latter go on up to 3 inches. I find the saw tooth ones much better in boring the big holes as they let the heat out and chew in better on the big holes.
When one wants clean and flat holes, nothing beats a forstner and a drill press.
-- PDQ
--
PDQ