What's up with Bosch 1591 jig saw?

I was all set to buy this model from Amazon and found they only had a refurbished model available.

Has this model been discontinued or to be replaced? Is anyone aware of any problems with it? I searched the archives and found nothing good or bad about this particular model.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Looks like a brand new model. Try Coastal Tool . I suspect they'll beat any price you find on Amazon.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Specifications Rating: 120V AC Amperage: 6.4 Stroke Length: 1" No-load SPM: 500 to 2,800 Wood: 53/8"

-->>>>>>>>>Aluminum: 3/4"

-->>>>>>>>>Mild Steel: 3/8"

-->>>>>>>>>Stainless Steel: 1/8" Weight: 6.0 lbs

Must be quite a saw.

Reply to
Robatoy

I went back later and found it on Amazon, but also checked out Coastaltool. I decided to buy it from Coastal. Their price plus shipping was only slightly lower than Amazon, but they also had accessories and blades and lower prices.

Yes, it is a brand new model. I guess that makes me an early adopter. I'll report on it after I've used it a bit. I know I'll love it based on other comments on Bosch jig saws reported in here since 1996.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Indeed I am hoping that it is "quite a saw". The cutting capacity of 5

3/8" makes it a candidate to do rough cuts through things like 4x4's. I don't own a bandsaw, so I'll see if this will bridge the gap until I can afford the one I want.

I've learned a lot about availability in the last 24 hours. Its a brand new item from Bosch. Nobody has it in stock. However, I did get Amazon to do a price match against Coastal Tool, which gave me the cheapest delivered price I could find anywhere. Who knows they will probably have $50 rebates on it in 6 months, but I don't want to wait that long.

Bob Davis Houston, Texas

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

There's something wrong with that specification. The longest T-shank blade that Bosch seems to make is the T344D and that's a 6 inch blade that could only cut a maximum of 5 inches with the 1" stroke of that saw. Maybe they've got a new blade coming, but if so I'm a bit puzzled as to why the new blade would not work in an older Bosch saw. The T344D goes through a

4x4 just fine in my 20 year old Scintilla-made Bosch--if that's your concern then I wouldn't go knocking myself out to find the "latest and greatest" just for that.

New stuff is that way.

By the way, don't know if you know about Coastal Tool--they're a very reputable outfit that's basically a little corner hardware store that made good. I remember when they were in a one room store--not even a "storefront"--they were in back--in a bad section of town--only place in Hartford that actually _stocked_ Bosch blades at the time which is how I came to be aware of them. They're now in a much larger new building that is across the street from a Home Depot and seems to usually have more cars in the parking lot. I'd buy from them before Amazon any day, but then I just have to drive across town to get stuff from them.

They're definitely _not_ your usual Internet merchant.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks for the explanation on Coastal Tool. I knew they were different when I called them on the phone and all they wanted was my name to cancel an order. When they found the tool was backordered, they practically encouraged me to order it elsewhere.

bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Is this the barrel grip of the 1590? I've heard nothing but good reviews of the 1590 - and the 1587 in the barrel grip was highly touted, so I'm guessing this will be a real winner. I have been wrong, however.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Yes its the new barrel grip of the 1590. Its now advertised as 3 - 5 week delivery on Amazon - was 1-2 weeks at the beginning of this week. Either their production runs are small or they have a pent-up after Christmas demand on these saws.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob