What's this piece of furniture called/worth?

I think you'd have to work real hard to fold a bath towel to get it in those cubbies...they're going to be

Reply to
dpb

you had to know that there would be no consensus here so the only thing to do is to take it to the antiques roadshow

they will get to the bottom of it maybe embellish the story a little here and there to improve chance of getting selected

Reply to
Electric Comet

dpb wrote in news:mrnie5$jth$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Reply to
John McCoy

Again, too tall for washstand; some sort of storage certainly; I'd guess more for clothing, however, but I really don't have any specific use that comes to mind given the dimensions and arrangement...

Reply to
dpb

I recently remodeled both bathrooms. The new vanities are higher than the old standard, they are 36". Agree that 42" would be too high..Would be OK to put an ice bucket and bottle of bourbon though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On 08/26/2015 7:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

OK, showed your picksures to the missus who's got a lot of time-in-grade in anteeky stores -- she's in agreement it's a somewhat odd piece given the dimensions. Her opinion was if it weren't for the cubbies it'd be a pretty good bet as a lingerie chest; with 'em she's also at a loss for a guess at a specific-function...

Reply to
dpb

I found a website called Picked Vintage that has some Baumritter pieces for sale. I sent them an email with a link to the slideshow of my piece, asking for some help in identifying its purpose.

We'll see if they can help...or even respond.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

another guess a barber cabinet

any evidence where a strop was attached

is there any evidence on the back that a mirror was attached at one time

usually there would be a mirror attached

you cannot have too many mirrors in a barber shop

Reply to
Electric Comet

No

There is no evidence of holes that have been repaired anywhere on the piece . Perhaps a hole in the sides and/front could have been filled and painted over, but the back is unfinished and there are no "old holes" to be found.

Well, I'm not sure I agree. In many barber shops there are mirrors only on one wall. The barber faces the customer away from the mirrors while cutting his hair and then spins him around for the reveal, typically using a hand held mirror to allow the customer to see the back of their own head.

At least that's been my experience in many different barber shops, in many different cities, over the years.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I did not mean to imply in my previous post that you are incorrect. I DAGS for images of barber cabinets and cubbies and other small storage areas were a common feature, as was the tall, narrow design.

Your guess has merit.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So after my guy finishes cutting my hair I look down at the hair on the floor and say, I'm getting a discount, right?

Reply to
Leon

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:mrr9f7$tol$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Mine is yet even more cruel. She makes me take my glasses off! So I have no idea what's happening (without glasses my range of vision is about 3 feet) until the end. Always it's suspense until I'm allowed to put them on again, and see what the final result is.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

You need a barber? I've not seen one in 10 years. A Whal trimmer keeps the perimeter short. That is all that is needed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

i did notice the left side of the top drawer was mangled somewhat

if you have a mass spectrometer laying around maybe scrape some of those stains and determine their composition

still has not changed my opinion as a customer the more mirrors the better that way you can watch the goings on at other stations without turning your head

much amusement over the years

Reply to
Electric Comet

It might fall into the category of "chimney cabinet". There seems to be various types, some somewhat similar to your cabinet. Shaker, Amish, rural/rustic/primitive?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Ok, I just stumbled across this thread. A little history here from a Salman son. yes, this piece must date before 1932, when my grandfather and Baumri tter parted ways -- My grandfather eventually started a small manufacturing company of unpainted furniture sold under the Salmanson & Co. and Arvin In dustry labels. His former partner, as was pointed out, went on to develop what turned into the Ethan Allen company. Bad move Grandpa!

Reply to
msalmans

anson. yes, this piece must date before 1932, when my grandfather and Baum ritter parted ways -- My grandfather eventually started a small manufacturi ng company of unpainted furniture sold under the Salmanson & Co. and Arvin Industry labels. His former partner, as was pointed out, went on to develo p what turned into the Ethan Allen company. Bad move Grandpa!

Thanks for the info...unless this is just a convenient way to advertise your law practice. ;-)

(How exactly did you "stumble" across this thread? This appears to be your first post, unless you normally post under another name.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

probably a vanity search.

Reply to