What's this piece of furniture called/worth?

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 3:29:15 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

I found a website called Picked Vintage that has some Baumritter pieces for sale. I sent them an email with a link to the slideshow of my piece, asking for some help in identifying its purpose.
We'll see if they can help...or even respond.
Add pictures here
✖
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I concur that it could be a knitting cabinet. I made one after talking to knitters so I have a bit of familiarity with the needs. The top appears to have a lip that would keep needles from rolling off and the cubbies would store yarn. The one I made was a slightly different concept in that it was intended to store a project while it was in process. Having a lot of yard storage was not the priority. I'd advertise it as such and see what happens... if that doesn't work list it as a lingerie cabinet. ;~)
Add pictures here
✖
On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 2:23:39 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Alas, there is no lip to prevent objects from rolling off. The piece was painted in such a way that there is a bare strip of wood around the edges of the top and the edges of the face of the drawers. etc.
I can see how the picture makes it look like a lip, but it is nothing more than the green paint ending about a 1/4" from the edge of top and then the tan paint that covers the routed edge detail.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 6:02:18 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

To me, it appears to be a variation of an old style commode cabinet, commod e type cabinet. Historically, most commodes were wider, than tall, but no t all.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz 1PQHA_enUS574US586&es_sm2&biw1280&bih„1&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=commode+cabinet&oq=commode+cabinet&g s_l=img.12..0l2j0i5i30l3.20906.35424.0.44276.22.17.0.0.0.0.184.1836.0j14. 14.0....0...1.1.64.img..9.13.1710.jT1cvjQ2reQ#imgrc=_
https://www.google.com/search?rlz 1PQHA_enUS574US586&es_sm2&biw1280&bih„1&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=antique+commode+cabinet&oq=antique+c ommode+cabinet&gs_l=img.12..0.222038.227248.0.230283.8.3.0.0.0.0.248.248. 2-1.1.0....0...1.1.64.img..7.1.246.lwbaL0hKC3s
Otherwise, it kinna looks like what I might think would be used in a GP doc tor's office, long ago... a simple accessory cabinet, of some sort, ..... i n any old office setting, rather than in a home setting.
Seems the design/style would not quite fit/coordinate into today's home fur nishings, other than some type of stand-alone decor piece, or for displayin g decor pieces relative to a past time period. It's a neat piece and, if I were to use it, I would try to adapt it to, use it for, some sort of acce ssory storage cabinet in the shop (upholstery or wood), rather than in the home.
I'd label it vintage/deco commode cabinet/accessory cabinet, put a $125 tag on it and see what happens. If I were a spur-of-the-moment art deco shop per, looking for something quaint, I might snap it up for at least $75, bef ore someone else gets it. An art deco shopper would know what "commode" o r "commode cabinet" might imply, more so than an average shopper.
Sonny
Add pictures here
✖
On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 1:14:10 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

ag on it and see what happens. If I were a spur-of-the-moment art deco sh opper, looking for something quaint, I might snap it up for at least $75, b efore someone else gets it. An art deco shopper would know what "commode" or "commode cabinet" might imply, more so than an average shopper.
Don't advertise it as "I don't know what kind of cabinet this is"....
Make a declaration as to what it is! Describe or label it, in such a way, as to make it desirable.
Sonny
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:02:14 -0700 (PDT)

one vote for a knitting cabinet
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:02:14 -0700 (PDT)

you had to know that there would be no consensus here so the only thing to do is to take it to the antiques roadshow
they will get to the bottom of it maybe embellish the story a little here and there to improve chance of getting selected
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:02:14 -0700 (PDT)

another guess a barber cabinet
any evidence where a strop was attached
is there any evidence on the back that a mirror was attached at one time
usually there would be a mirror attached
you cannot have too many mirrors in a barber shop
Add pictures here
✖
On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 10:54:34 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

No

No

There is no evidence of holes that have been repaired anywhere on the piece . Perhaps a hole in the sides and/front could have been filled and painted over, but the back is unfinished and there are no "old holes" to be found.

Well, I'm not sure I agree. In many barber shops there are mirrors only on one wall. The barber faces the customer away from the mirrors while cutting his hair and then spins him around for the reveal, typically using a hand held mirror to allow the customer to see the back of their own head.
At least that's been my experience in many different barber shops, in many different cities, over the years.
Add pictures here
✖

So after my guy finishes cutting my hair I look down at the hair on the floor and say, I'm getting a discount, right?
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/29/2015 9:16 AM, Leon wrote:

You need a barber? I've not seen one in 10 years. A Whal trimmer keeps the perimeter short. That is all that is needed.
Add pictures here
✖

Mine is yet even more cruel. She makes me take my glasses off! So I have no idea what's happening (without glasses my range of vision is about 3 feet) until the end. Always it's suspense until I'm allowed to put them on again, and see what the final result is.
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 20:23:08 -0700 (PDT)

i did notice the left side of the top drawer was mangled somewhat
if you have a mass spectrometer laying around maybe scrape some of those stains and determine their composition

still has not changed my opinion as a customer the more mirrors the better that way you can watch the goings on at other stations without turning your head
much amusement over the years
Add pictures here
✖
On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 10:54:34 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:

I did not mean to imply in my previous post that you are incorrect. I DAGS for images of barber cabinets and cubbies and other small storage areas were a common feature, as was the tall, narrow design.
Your guess has merit.

Add pictures here
✖
On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 6:02:18 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It might fall into the category of "chimney cabinet". There seems to be various types, some somewhat similar to your cabinet. Shaker, Amish, rural/rustic/primitive?
https://www.google.com/search?q 30s+chimney+cabinet&rlz1PQHA_enUS574US586&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved AgQ_AUoAmoVChMInNr459fQxwIVhjs-Ch21ZgKk&biw80&bih„1
Sonny
Add pictures here
✖