What's this piece of furniture called/worth?

Page 1 of 2
My daughter inherited this piece of furniture from the former tenants of the house she is renting at college. She doesn't want it and was thinking of putting it on Craigslist.
We don't know what it is called or what price she should ask. It's solid wood and in really good shape other than some worn paint.
Any suggestions on how to list this unit and for how much would be appreciated.
http://s440.photobucket.com/user/DerbyDad03/slideshow/Furniture
Thanks!

Personally, I'd call it a cabinet. Are those cubbies inside the door sized to fit pairs of shoes?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 8/25/2015 7:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Too tall for an end table. Some sort of cabinet with two drawers and door.
If I was selling it I'd list it for $50 and take the first 20 anyone offers. Reality is, I'd put it out with a "free" sign and be done with it. Not worth my effort to sell it but I'm not a college student..
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There was unofficial "trading" at various places I've lived. The idea was to set stuff you didn't need near the community refuse area. I got a bathroom stand I needed that way, and I gave away numerous items too. Many 18-20 year olds don't have extra money to waste on "stuff". The bathroom stand I borrowed is probably still in use by a student somewhere, less than a mile from where I left it...lol
On 8/25/2015 4:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Reservation desk for a restaurant?
On 8/25/2015 9:01 PM, Dangre wrote:

Could conceivably be that. Cubbyholes for menus? Of course I'd have expected them to be above the drawers in that use, possibly with a sloped top surface.

Well, since it has a door on it, I'd call it a cabinet.
It's evidently intended for some specialized purpose, since it has the cubbies inside. Storing shoes sounds as good a guess as any.
I think it falls into the "it's worth what someone will pay for it" category.
If you want to make it worth more, go to Home Depot and get a $5 cabinet door lock. People love things with locks.
John

Looks like an old Edison Cylinder cabinet. I would have thought phone cabinet until I saw the cubbies inside. Too small for record cabinet.

List as antique. I would start price at $100 and take what I can get. It's often recommended not to put a price on anything and wait to see who bites. Check some of the sites on how to post on Craigslist.
If I had the room, I'd take it and redo it for myself as a headphone and CD cabinet. Been promising myself I would find or make one for a listening corner in the house.

On 08/26/2015 10:03 AM, Casper wrote:

It's unusual size and I don't know what, precisely, it might have been intended for, but I'm virtually positive it wasn't/isn't an Edison cabinet; almost universally they had either cylinder pockets for storing the cylinders vertically or racks somewhat like a wine rack to hold them on their side. The pockets are way too big; and I don't think the drawers tall enough and I presume if they were anything but ordinary drawers would have been noted and pictures with them open also shown.
It doesn't look _that_ old to me, either, but in today's climate anything 50s or 60s or older would qualify as "antique"... :)

On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 11:17:45 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

In fact, I did consider posting a picture of the inside of one drawer. One of the drawers is indeed "ordinary", i.e. just a drawer with 4 sides.
The other drawer has dadoes cut into the 4 sides which at one time probably held dividers. If I recall correctly, the drawer could be divided in 6 identically sized sections as 2 Rows of 3 when facing the drawer. If it's not 6, then it's just 4. In either case, the dividers are no longer present.
I wonder if it could be a knitting cabinet as shown here:
http://s3.otherpeoplespixels.com/sites/50819/assets/gM5TY4ziCuOoLYLq.jpg
There does not appear to be an organization method for the needles and I'm not sure what the divided drawer would be used for, but I'm not a knitter.
On 08/26/2015 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Certainly the cross-cubbies would work but would work for quite a bit of other things as well, and as you say, you'd think there would be some more obvious arrangements for such. But, who knows?
Don't suppose there are any manufacturer marks or the like...

On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 12:40:08 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

I'll have my daughter check to see if there are any labels, etc. that she can find.
On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 12:40:08 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

My daughter found a partial label on the back of the piece:
http://tinyurl.com/Furniture-Maker-Label
The label reads Salmanson & Baumritter, 1107 Broadway, New York, NY
According to the link below, Sam Salmanson and Ted Baumritter were partners in "a little selling business...and they sold unfinished furniture and other houseware items." The business was essentially a drop-shipment jobber business, not a manufacturing business.
According to the text of the interview with Nathan Ancell, Baumritter's next partner, Salmanson & Baumritter parted ways in 1932. That indicates to me that the piece dates back to no later than the early '30s, making it an antique. Unfortunately, the label doesn't help in determining who made it, only who sold it. The piece appears to be numbered, but the label is ripped and hard to read.
BTW...The T. Baumritter Company eventually evolved from a drop-shipment company into the furniture manufacturer we know today as Ethan Allen. I found the following interview absolutely fascinating. Nathan Ancell relates all of the changes the company went through over years, including the WW-II period when they made coffins and crosses for the Navy. They also made life rafts for the Liberty ships and then struggled to stay in business after the war end as they transitioned back to a company that manufactured civilian goods. Nathan describes how the concept of the Ethan Allan galleries was developed and how his company changed the furniture business.
http://www.furniturehalloffame.com/oral_history.aspx?idC
On 08/26/2015 7:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That is interesting; I'd never delved into history of E-A and hadn't run into S&B. It's in excellent shape for the age (altho, of course, 80-90 isn't _that_ old, but a lot of stuff has been sorely abused long before then it its lifetime).
I still don't know what one would call it; while it's a long shot if one could find any old S&B catalogs online that'd be a shot at identifying it. No idea how they marketed so whether there were such to find I don't know, either...
Is there an antique consignment shop available where the piece is that you might trust to do a reasonable job of selling it for your daughter, perhaps? _Might_ get to a more attune market that way than just random Craigs List bargain hunter...and a knowledgeable person just _might_ even know what it is... :)

That date would put it before the era of built-in bathroom vanities, so I think whoever it was suggested it was a washstand or bathroom cabinet was likely right. The cubbies would be for holding towels before use.
John
On 08/27/2015 10:07 AM, John McCoy wrote:

I think you'd have to work real hard to fold a bath towel to get it in those cubbies...they're going to be <7"W by my scaling from the measurements given...

Wouldn't be a bath towel, just a hand towel. Haven't you ever seen a washstand? Usually there's a basin on top, and a pitcher (an ewer) of water; the idea is to clean the hands and face, not the whole body.
But, this cabinet could be something else completely...it's just a guess, based on the size and timeframe.
John
On 08/27/2015 3:02 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Not 42" tall, no...

Again, too tall for washstand; some sort of storage certainly; I'd guess more for clothing, however, but I really don't have any specific use that comes to mind given the dimensions and arrangement...

On 8/27/2015 5:20 PM, dpb wrote:

the old standard, they are 36". Agree that 42" would be too high..Would be OK to put an ice bucket and bottle of bourbon though.
On 08/26/2015 7:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...
OK, showed your picksures to the missus who's got a lot of time-in-grade in anteeky stores -- she's in agreement it's a somewhat odd piece given the dimensions. Her opinion was if it weren't for the cubbies it'd be a pretty good bet as a lingerie chest; with 'em she's also at a loss for a guess at a specific-function...