What's this joint called?

Can anyone please tell me what this drawer joint is called? And maybe give a guess as to how old it might be? Pictures are at

BikerRay

I have seen the joint and a jig to make that joint. The name escapes me though. I really liked the joint and was going to buy the jig. But something came up and it did not happen.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Oh, gosh, you would ask! :) FWW had a Letter to Editor asking same thing a while (probably 2+ yr???) but I forget what they actually called it. Whether it would be searchable and findable on the FWW web site I've no idea.

It is roughly 20's vintage or a little earlier iirc.

--

Reply to
dpb

It's a 'pinned Bead Joint' . . . . okay..so I made it up..shoot me already...

Reply to
Robatoy

Can't tell you the name, But I have an Antique Dresser from the 1850's that uses the same joint for the drawers.

Mike

Reply to
Goose

Wow... can you imagine making a chest of drawers with those joints with a few homemade saws and some smith/homemade chisels circa 1850s?

Ouch.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

It's called a "pin and crescent joint".

You can make them with > Can anyone please tell me what this drawer joint is called? And maybe

Reply to
Pat Barber

AKA Knapp joint.

Scott Lurndal

Actually I think it was designed as a machine-made joint. You could do the front with a quasi-forstner style bit (with a hole in the middle) in a line-boring sort of machine. The side would probably be some sort of molding head.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Here's the history, courtesy of Google:

Chris Friesen

Thanks, all, for the quick response.

Reply to
BikerRay

Do molding planes cut end grain? That sounds excessively punitive.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Has anybody on this group tried this jig? How easy is it to get it right? Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Thanks -

Robert