What's this about Norm Retiring.

Page 3 of 6
Charlie Self wrote:

I was thinking more along the line of: "We know you aren't cut out for this, but it comes down to you. Take my old advisors, read what they write and do what they say. TRY to be quiet other than that, and get that b@stard Saddam for me." OK, I'm done with the politics now. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I think you may be closer to the truth than anyone there wants to admit.
Gerry

elected to the

That is you

love to spend time

lived off lines

Funny how many falsehoods take hold and seem so real...I guess because the teller likes the message and truth be damned. For much of Reagan's radio/TV career he wrote much of his own material. His letters, essays and other public correspondence since often indicate a strong grasp of the language and clarity of thought......While as President he naturally (all presidents do) did have speech writers, he is however well known for selecting and placing his own mark on the material. Soggy
Bush, on the other hand...well, he's on the other hand. He

has descended from

Soggy responds:

Sure he did. B movie actors ALL wrote their own material.
Where'd you dig this one up?
Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Aksurly, I saw an interview of someone on some show (BookTV/cspan or maybe Charlie Rose)... The interviewee held up copies of Reagan's speeches in which Reagan crossed out entire sections and pages and hand wrote his own words in their place. He routinely took an active role and made major contributions to the speeches. Damn. I wish I could recall where I saw this program. I'm not a Reagan fan but it was certainly interesting.
Owen Lowe writes:

Oh, I don't doubt that he changed the speeches. Believe me, that's easier than it looks, once the basic speech is written. He also probably made a lot of hand written notes to give to the speech writer, the intent of which, one can expect, made it into the speeches.
But I do very much doubt he had a blinking thing to do with writing his roles in the movies. Maybe he got some input on TV, but for the most part actors don't write, whether they can or not, and certainly B grade actors don't get a shot at it.
I know someone is going to come back with remarks on how Paul Newman or or Harrison Ford and two or three others rewrite their roles. Two points: neither Newman or Ford are B grade actors; things have changed in the industry since the '40s and '50s.
Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn
Charlie Self wrote:

Bear in mind that all of Reagan's radio and TV work wasn't portraying characters. He appeared as himself with some regularity. The one that sticks in my mind was hosting "Death Valley Days" after Stanley Andrews ("The Old Ranger") left the series. I think it quite reasonable that he would have input in that kind of situation. And if you check IMDB you'll find that he did quite a lot of that sort of thing, and IMDB only holds that work for which there was some record kept.

--
--John
Charlie Self wrote:

Read what he wrote. Radio and TV are not "B movies".

--
--John
Radio/TV Charlie. Looks like prejudice trumps even your eyes.

George writes>

Trumps whose eyes? What facts have been offered?
I say that B movie actors didn't write their roles. I did not say they didn't modify TV scripts. Probably also radio. Using most TV scripts for toilet paper would improve both the quality of the writing and the tone of the show, so that's not a feat.
I made no blanket statements, and asked a question that no one has yet answered. Owen's sight of marked up copies of speeches is not MY sight.
Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn
As you would not believe what you read - why would anyone bother?
Any number of biographies out there testify to the "great communicator" having ability to write as well as deliver words with a great sense of timing and humor..
And, as the original, which you still ignore said, he also worked in radio and TV, and did a lot of his own copy.

didn't
paper

the
"Well, there you go again." Where were you when Carter left office, saying, "I didn't think things could get any worse until Reagan was elected." If you were like too many Americans, you were unemployed or paying 12 to 14% on you mortgage and sitting in gas lines. Reagan got out the credit card and started spending and put a lot of Americans back to work, kicking off the greatest economic expansion this country has ever seen.
And defeated communism without firing a shot, to boot. JFK failed at that one and almost got us annihilated. ("I lived it", also.)
Gary
Gary blasts:

Bullshit, to be polite. Reagan was riding the horse that someone else trained and guided. The downfall of the Soviet Union was written in its economic and political models, so that when money ran short, it all collapsed. Reagan happened to be in the seat when that occured. He did not cause it.

Nonsense. How did JFK get us "almost annihilated"? Are we talking the Cuban Missile Crisis and ol' shoe pounding Nikita here? The world's biggest blusterer? JFK didn't do a lot of the good stuff he gets credit for, but he also didn't get us almost annihilated. He scared the bejaysus out of a lot of us who had already served our military time...I was sure the Marine Corps was going to call me up...but the crisis passed fairly quickly. The Bay of Pigs was another disaster, but didn't approach an annihilation level except for the expatriate Cubans who listened to CIA promises.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken
(Charlie Self) wrote:

No, Charlie, the bullshit is entirely on your part. The downfall of the Soviet Union was indeed written in its economic and political models, but very few politicians in the United States actually realized that. For the most part, political leaders of both parties accepted the existence of the Soviet Union as a given, and were resigned to the continuation of the Cold War for the indefinite future. Almost alone among American political leaders, Reagan knew that the inherent weaknesses of the Soviet system ensured its collapse if only it were pushed hard enough, and he knew how and where to push. Even the Russians acknowledge that:
``Reagan bolstered the U.S. military might to ruin the Soviet economy, and he achieved his goal,'' said Gennady Gerasimov, who was the top spokesman for the Soviet Foreign Ministry during the 1980s.
[ http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4177770,00.html ]

Do you think he might have had LOTS of advice /and/ /direction/ from many "advisors" and "backers" with certain agendas lurking in the shadows or did Reagan, the political/economic/philosophical GENIUS, deduce and engineer all of the factors culminating in the demise of "The Evil Empire" all by himself? Just asking.
Gerry
G.E.R.R.Y. wrote:

Don't know how much _direction_ he had--he had a multibillion dollar budget with which to solicit advice, so one hopes he availed himself of that service.
Didn't take a genius to see that the Soviet Union could be forced into the position of ceasing to expand their military or going bankrupt. I figured that out when Nixon was in office and I'm no expert on that sort of thing.

--
--John

trained
and
Cuban
he
of
was
Pigs was

from
Charlie, Charlie, Charlie. You're in denial. It happened, and the events of the day were significantly influenced by the sitting American leadership, as they always are. I admit, I was sort of kidding about defeating Communism, although befriending Gorbachev and wife certainly had some impact on the outcome.
"almost annihilated" When did you learn of things such as civil defense, bomb shelters advertised on the front of public buildings, home fallout shelters, nuclear attack drills for school children? I'd say that's when we're about as close to face annihilation as anytime in the history of this country. Present time included.

Gary, Gary, Gary. All that happened in the '50s. Once I started high school in 1960, I never saw a nuclear attack drill and the home fallout shelter boom had pretty much subsided by that time. Let's see, who was president from 1953 to 1961? Not JFK.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt;When did you learn of things such as civil defense,<BR>&gt; &gt;bomb shelters advertised on the front of public buildings, home fallout<BR>&gt; &gt;shelters, nuclear attack drills for school children?&nbsp; I'd say that's when<BR>&gt; &gt;we're about as close to face annihilation as anytime in the history of this<BR>&gt; &gt;country.&nbsp; Present time included.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Gary, Gary, Gary. All that happened in the '50s. Once I started high<BR>&gt; school in 1960, I never saw a nuclear attack drill and the home<BR>&gt; fallout shelter boom had pretty much subsided by that time. Let's see,<BR>&gt; who was president from 1953 to 1961? Not JFK.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; - -<BR>&gt; LRod<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT><A href="http://www.woodbutcher.net "><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://www.woodbutcher.net </FONT></A></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>LRod, LRod, LRod.&nbsp; (this starting to be fun)&nbsp; Yes, the cold war started in the 50's but I remember the threat being at its highest in 1963.&nbsp; as&nbsp;&nbsp;<A href="http://info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm?id=48&amp ;category=life">http://info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm?id=48&amp ;category=life</A> puts it:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp; "Testing the mettle of the new and youthful President John F. Kennedy, Soviet Premier Nikita Krushschev demanded that NATO troops leave Berlin, emphasizing his point with a scary shoe-banging tantrum at the United Nations.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Kennedy recommended a course of action to his fellow Americans. "A fallout shelter for everybody," he said, "as rapidly as possible." Calling Berlin "the great testing place of Western courage and will," Kennedy promised to let every citizen know what steps he could take without delay to protect his family in case of attack.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Russians ended a three-year moratorium on nuclear testing with a blast over central Russia and warned the west that "It would take really very few multimegaton nuclear bombs to wipe out your small and densely populated countries and kill you instantly in your lairs."&nbsp;</FONT></DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A year later, the Cuban Missile Crisis would shove the world to the brink for 13 agonizing days. Newspaper headlines blared warnings of impending annihilation. "Highest Urgency, Kennedy Reports," "Invasion Possible, Air, Sea and Ground Forces Ordered Out for Maneuvers," they cried."</FONT></DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial size=2>That's the way I remember it.</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

this
LRod, LRod, LRod. (this starting to be fun) Yes, the cold war started in the 50's but I remember the threat being at its highest in 1963. as http://info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm?idH&category=life puts it:
"Testing the mettle of the new and youthful President John F. Kennedy, Soviet Premier Nikita Krushschev demanded that NATO troops leave Berlin, emphasizing his point with a scary shoe-banging tantrum at the United Nations. Kennedy recommended a course of action to his fellow Americans. "A fallout shelter for everybody," he said, "as rapidly as possible." Calling Berlin "the great testing place of Western courage and will," Kennedy promised to let every citizen know what steps he could take without delay to protect his family in case of attack. The Russians ended a three-year moratorium on nuclear testing with a blast over central Russia and warned the west that "It would take really very few multimegaton nuclear bombs to wipe out your small and densely populated countries and kill you instantly in your lairs." A year later, the Cuban Missile Crisis would shove the world to the brink for 13 agonizing days. Newspaper headlines blared warnings of impending annihilation. "Highest Urgency, Kennedy Reports," "Invasion Possible, Air, Sea and Ground Forces Ordered Out for Maneuvers," they cried."
That's the way I remember it.
Correction, Make that October 1962.