What's the stupidest thing you've done lately?

I did a Really Stupid Thing(tm) and in true Wreck spirit, I'm going to make myself look like an idiot before the world.

I've spent the last few shop days putting a new top on my existing workbench so I could adapt it to be better suited for woodworking.

The original top on the bench is made from dimensional lumber screwed to the support structure. After many years in what amounts to a small barn, the wood had cupped and twisted quite a bit, and the boards were never perfectly flat to begin with. It really was all but useless.

So I planed off all the high spots and planed across the joints between boards to provide a surface level enough to support a laminated hardwood top. I didn't want to replace the entire top because I'm trying to save money, because the top needed to be thicker anyway, and because I was too lazy to un-bolt all my metal-working stuff from the far left side of the bench and then go buy longer bolts and re-attach it.

Anyway, I set a piece of railroad track on the top, and slid it around on a sheet of cardboard to make sure it was going to lay flat. When I did this, I found a couple of spots that needed shimming slightly in order to avoid sagging problems. I shimmed them with several used up sheets of 60 grit sandpaper, since I had a lot of used up 60 grit sandpaper laying around, and I needed very thin shims.

Much later, I started drilling my dog holes. I was initially just boring through the new top, and only penetrating the existing one far enough to see that I had hit pine; intending to finish the job with a spade bit. I found one hole that had some weird black stuff at the bottom. The top had some kind of funky stain from something or other deep in the wood, and I mistook the "black stuff" for that, and thought I had "hit pine" so I stopped.

On the next hole, I put my full weight behind the drill, and all I could do was make smoke. It didn't cut worth a damn.

DUMBASS!!!!!!!!

So I finished the top, much to my dismay, with a spade bit. Luckily I had already bored down 1/8" or so with the Forstner in all locations, so I have clean entry holes.

I'm going to get out the Complete Guide and see if I can figure out how to save this Forstner, but it's probably hopeless. Cutting through three sheets of 60 grit sandpaper is a very good way to destroy most any bit, I'd imagine.

Kids, don't try this at home. If you find yourself in the same situation I described, plane off the rest of the damn thing so you don't have to use shims, and if you don't follow that advice, at least don't use sandpaper for shims unless you're a freaking moron like I am.

Reply to
Silvan

Go get a nice assortment of small files, and get to work. The forstner bit is not that hard to sharpen.

Reply to
Morgans

Wastepaper baskets, repro Stickley style. Starts with a bunch of quartersawn oak strip, 2 1/2" and about 3/8" or so thick. Then taper the slats, rivet them to a couple of iron rings, and away you go.

So I fed my piece of 2 1/2" square stock into the bandsaw to resaw it. After some careful adjustment, I resawed the whole piece up, into several basketfuls.

To find that I'd carefully _flat-sawn_ the strips, not quarter-sawn them.

Andy Dingley

Maybe, maybe not. It's pretty severely out of whack now, and it looks like there's a *lot* of filing to do.

I'm definitely going to give it a shot though. Today is sharpening day. I have six abused chisels and two abused plane irons to re-grind and hone as a result of this most recent endeavor. I'll probably spend the entire day just sliding things around on sandpaper.

I need to get a decent wheel and tool rest for my grinder.

Reply to
Silvan

I have the Lee Valley tool rest and a good friable wheel ($18). Does a lot. Especially handy for lathe tools that HAVE to be done freehanded unless you buy a $50 tool holder which I am not. I'll be glad to sharpen a couple of your chisels if you neeed the help. You pay poostage. It'll shave hair off the back of your knuckles.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Stupidest thing I've done lately?? Well the only thing that comes to mind is taking a couple of bozos out my twit list to see if they could behave. Of course they can't! Thank God it's only a couple of guys...

dave

Silvan wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

guys...

Well we knew it wouldn't be anything having to do with woodworking.

Reply to
A Dog Named Stain

'S OK, I got it done. I definitely need to get one of those good wheels before I get my lathe out at 12:01 AM on Christmas morning, but I figured out a way to do what I want with what I already have, without spending any extra money.

I had a Good Idea(tm) that worked out very well. Everybody knows a belt sander is good for sharpening, but when people say that, they mean one of the 1" x ~ 42" deals. I have a 36" belt/ 6" disc combo sander that leaves a lot to be desired for sharpening work.

However, I figured out how to use the thing anyway. The problem with angles is setting them precisely so that the grind angle and the honing angle are the same. (Well, unless you want to do micro-bevels, but just bear with me on this...) I made a little table out of angle iron that's screwed into tapped holes in the side of my platen. This lets me use the Veritas guide for everything, with no additional tool holders required, and no chance of setting the fiddly sander table to the wrong angle.

I got every banged-up edge in my shop mirror shiny in record time by letting the machine do most of the drudge work. I need to massage it a bit yet to compensate for slight irregularities in the angle iron (maybe Bondo or JB Weld to fill it and then flatten it with granite/sandpaper), because the angles are coming out some fraction of a degree different between machine and hand sanding, but it sure beats the hell out of doing all of this by hand, and it was free.

Reply to
Silvan