What's the Miter with You? Square your Miter Gauge!

A quick and accurate method to square your miter gauge:

know I have started threads in the past that describe this method, but I finally put it in a video. If a picture speaks a thousand words... Yeah, I know, there are dozens of methods for doing this and that the 'old dogs' that use a square pushed against the blade and the miter gauge will never change but...

Enjoy

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

On my table saw the miter gauge slot is perfectly square to the front edge of the table. To square the gauge it's a simple matter of putting the gauge up side down in the miter gauge, run it up tight to the table's edge and lock it down.

Reply to
Nova

This presumes that the blade is aligned dead on with the miter slot. It would also help to have an extension fence attached to the miter gauge face, for the same reason that you use a #8 to joint an edge instead of a block plane.

That said, I now have another use for my indicator and my

18" Starrett combo square.
Reply to
Father Haskell

Try doing that with an Osborne EB3 (my bread and butter gauge), big Incra or TS-Sled and report back to me. :^)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Yes. Mine is dead-on. I use a TS-aligner Jr for that.

I used that gauge for video purposes only. I use an Osborne EB3 normally.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

That said, I've always wondered if there was any practical way to align a blade to the miter slot if they were not parallel from the get go? ~ Unless of course, there was some type of adjustment built into the arbour shaft of the saw, something I've admittedly never investigated.

The only two ways I can envision to fix such a problem would be to shim the blade in the arbour or possibly to sand/grind the miter slot so that it was parallel. Both these methods would be quite difficult to accomplish properly in my opinion.

Reply to
Upscale

You would have to loosen the table from underneath and wack with a mallet until aligned. Re-tighten bolts.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

If it isn't you've got other problems.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Any saw that doesn't have _some_ means of aligning the blade is a piece of crap.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Good idea. Guess I wasn't thinking big enough when trying to think of a solution. :)

Reply to
Upscale

This 'old dog' certainly plans to change. Very slick. Thanks for posting that, Brian.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You're probably right. Fortunately, it's a problem I've never come across.

Reply to
Upscale

If your trunion assembly is attached to the bottom of your table, that method won't work.

Reply to
Robatoy

If you one doesn't care enough about accuracy to square their blade to their slot, then I doubt they're going to care enough to square their miter gauge with a dial indicator.

Reply to
-MIKE-

-MIKE-

Cool. Definitely give it a try. I NEVER square using any other method. And I often re-check for square in the middle of a woodworking session. -It makes ya feel good.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Brian, glare and insufficient contrast on that vid make it so that I cannot see the face or needle on the dial indicator, even in the inset shots, even with my computer glasses on. ;)

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The table on my Unisaw was delivered with the miter slot parallel to the blade and hasn't deviated from parallel in 30 years. But then I don't use the saw top as an anvil. We ought to be looking for horses not zebras.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Me, too. I just assumed it was doing what he said it was doing. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Wow, ok..... never heard that one. Enlighten me, please.

Reply to
-MIKE-