What's the Miter with You? Square your Miter Gauge!

Page 2 of 4

You would have to loosen the table from underneath and wack with a mallet until aligned. Re-tighten bolts.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Any saw that doesn't have _some_ means of aligning the blade is a piece of crap.
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:24:56 -0500, "J. Clarke"

You're probably right. Fortunately, it's a problem I've never come across.
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:54:45 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks

Good idea. Guess I wasn't thinking big enough when trying to think of a solution. :)

If your trunion assembly is attached to the bottom of your table, that method won't work.
On 2/21/10 11:48 AM, Robatoy wrote:

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/saw_pals.html
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:48:21 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

Right, so loosen the trunnion bolts and move it instead. Same/same.
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

well.....yahah

The table on my Unisaw was delivered with the miter slot parallel to the blade and hasn't deviated from parallel in 30 years. But then I don't use the saw top as an anvil. We ought to be looking for horses not zebras.
Joe G

Wow, ok..... never heard that one. Enlighten me, please.
--

-MIKE-

I've never heard that expression either, but I'm guessing he's saying that unaligned table saw blades to the table are few and far between.
On 2/21/10 12:51 PM, Upscale wrote:

Maybe, but I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth.
HAHAHAHAHA! I got a million of 'em.
--

-MIKE-

Full quote: "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." In other words, when faced with a problem, look for common, simple explanations before unusual or exotic ones.
On Feb 21, 2:14pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
umsDOT.com> wrote:

Aka Occam's razor
GarageWoodworks wrote:

There's at least one exception to Occam's Razor. In the exegesis of Biblical texts, when faced with two differing renditions, scholars have learned that the more convoluted and complicated of the two is usually the more correct version. It seems that, during manifold copying, the ancient scribes sometimes tried to simplify a text by rewording it.
For example, the phrase "Do unto others as ye would have them do unto thee" was once enshrined as "Don't be evil" until earlier texts were found. You can Google it.

LOL!
On 2/21/10 1:14 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Nice. Adopted for future use.
Wish I had that quip in my arsenal at my last job which involved training students in troubleshooting audio/video equipment.
The was always the temptation to break into a machine or reach for test equipment... when 80 percent of the time, the darn thing just wasn't plugged in. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 2/21/2010 1:48 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

First rule of troubleshooting any electronic equipment: "Check the voltage."
Just before mixing the last and headline act of the night at a festival sound gig many years ago, the pianist/band leader (Rice Graduate, EE major to boot) couldn't get us a sound out of his rig so suddenly started dismantling it onstage (being the famous inventor of the particular piano pickup system he uses) while the now mostly drunk, angry festival crowd was on the verge of rebellion, being that he was also an hour late to the gig to start with.
I had initially tried to quiz him, over his monitor, if it was plugged in (I was in a tower about 150' away), but was curtly cut off in mid sentence.
Well, after that brief exchange from the little lounge lizard, he was on his on as far as I was concerned ... and, as colorblind as I am, I never saw such a red face, even from that distance, when he finally snapped to the fact that it wasn't, with 2500 folks watching his every move for the 45 minutes it took him to figure it out.
Normally and notoriously, an ass to deal with, he was most humble for the rest of the, much shortened, show ... go figure.
Sometimes there's justice in the world ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

And, since -- as everybody knows -- a zebra is 25 sizes larger than an a-bra, it definitely qualifies as 'unsual' and/or 'exotic'. Chesty Morgan, where are you???
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

Often heard in medical school and residency programs with reference to differential diagnosis of a patients signs & symptoms -- i.e., think of common things first, not oddities. For example, if an otherwise healthy patient comes in complaining of a cough, think common cold and not some obscure form of lung cancer...