What's the longest boards you can get on line?

Page 1 of 2

I'm paying too much for walnut locally, and most of it sucks (sapwood galore), anyway. Are there any mail order outfits you have dealt with that YOU CAN TRUST TO SEND YOU ONLY GOOD WOOD? What's the max length they can ship?
I've been paying $5.25 on up for walnut. I'm going broke buying it. And I'm not getting much of a break on 6/4 maple, except when the counterman at the local store takes pity on me and changes the classification of the wood so that I get a decent price.
I don't want to drive 80 miles round trip to go through a warehouse of lumber, only to find that their stuff is no better than what I've been putting up with locally.
Bottom line, who can you trust to buy from, sight unseen? Anyone?
Dave

Where are you at, David? I've got some beautiful walnut, but of course you don't know me from Adam (nor me, you). It was stacked & stickered in the 1960s, stored well in a controlled environment until the owner, then his widow, died. I bought it at auction ~6 years ago. If you're anywhere near Milwaukee or Madison, Wisconsin, maybe you could take a look at it. I've got maybe 300 board feet left, maybe more.
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

I'm in San Jose, Dave. You are located a BIT out of my driving range. :) Aren't you going to use it?
Dave

Ayup, just a bit...

Well, I am using it, but I've gone through maybe a dozen boards in the last 5 years. And the stack doesn't seem to be shrinking much. There are 5 or 6 boards in there, 12' long, 14" wide, one slice after another from the same log. Would make a nice boardroom table...
Dave Hinz wrote:

Stop! I'm turning green. :)
Dave

Did I mention it's all heartwood, with beautiful figure, and colors from brown through red to purple?
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:36:10 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

you suck :)
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:12:34 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

OK, I need a ruling here. I did the obligatory gloat here at the time, does any mention of it also require the "you suck"? I don't mind, but I was wondering if we've established this yet.

rementions are fair game for resucks, but the suckage isn't mandatory. don't get greedy.

I believe the 'you suck' is improper if you already did a gloat on this. On this thread, it is improper. However, on your subsequent post where you discussed it was all heartwood and nice and pretty, that is a definite in your face "I'M GLOATING" situation. Most certainly not labeled with a gloat so in that case it is proper. Had the poster responded 'you suck' to that comment, he is entitled to that as I believe you gloated just a little too much in that situation. Seeing that he did not respond to that post, then he is not entitled to the 'you suck' comment.
I light of the secondary post that where you did go over the top...
you suck
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:23:07 -0500, D Steck wrote:

Oh, dear, a foe paw on my very first 'you suck.' Abject apologies and much grovelling. Really.
Hey Dave, how much you want for some? I'll drive over.
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:23:17 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

Couple more months it would have been 7 years, and the statute of limitations would have been up. But, I think it can be forgiven to not have memorized every post on the group for 6+ years.

Drop me an email...

Ah. Of course.

This is very confusing.

So mentioning that it's on top of a similar stack of cherry would be another example of "you suck"-able posts then? I ask, er, merely out of curiousity.
That said, what's a fair price for nice walnut, in the Midwest? Old growth, no sapwood, no knots, rough sawn 45+ years ago 4/4 strong? They're 10-12 foot lengths, random width. A local-ish woodworker is interested in 40 or so bf, and we want to come up with a fair number.
Dave

Most certainly. Best not mention it.

I bought some just recently and came to a price of $2.50 / bf. It was nice walnut but not 45+ years old and the widest board was maybe 7". No sap wood but had more knots than I would like. For what you've got (if it's pretty straight), I'd ask the same if not a little more than S2S lumber. One local yard in St. Louis adds 10% to the price for boards over 9" wide.

Near Madison? I might be interested in some of it. Madison is about 32 NW of my shop and I'm up there everyday.
Knothead( at )wisconsinoutback.com
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:04:18 -0500, Knothead

I'm right down the road from Jefferson / Johnson Creek. If you're 32 miles SE of Madison, you're probably 20 minutes frmo my place. Drop me an email, my address is real. How much might you want?
Dave
David wrote:

No max length by truck. Other than the trailer length :) Most boards are 7'-12', rarely longer or shorter.
As far as "good wood" goes, depends on what you order...select is better than #1 common, etc. If you mean lack of sapwood, you'd have to specify what you want when you talk to them.
I've never had a problem ordering from distant suppliers. Usually use one in NC as I'm in Florida but have also used some in Wisconsin when I wanted slow growth white oak.

52' if it goes by truck. IIRC, UPS has a total size limit. a.. Oversize 3 (OS3): a UPS Ground package with a combined length and girth that exceeds 130 inches, and combined length and girth equal to or less than 165 inches, and actual weight less than 90 pounds. For each OS3 package, the billable weight is 90 pounds. A Large Package Surcharge will be applied.
I just bought 20bd from the http://www.hardwoodstore.com/index.html It was $99.00 which included shipping. I'll let you know when I get it in this week.

David wrote:

I doubt you'll do any better online, certainly not if you include shipping. That doesn't sound too bad to me for walnut, local pickup in CA.
Reading a followup re: sapwood in walnut--sapwood in walnut is not considered a defect in any grading system. You will definitely pay a tremendous premium if you specify all walnut heartwood (and you will have a devil of a time getting anybody to supply it other than someone such as Constantine's where you will probably pay $10/bf or more I think).
I don't know your needs obviously as you gave no indication of what kind of projects you make, but I find that for what I do (almost exclusively furniture pieces or other cabinetry, not turning or small crafts) the most cost-effective hardwood is 1C. I typically buy at least 300 bf at a time simply to have sufficient stock on hand to select from for a particular project. Only if I have a specific commission requiring something truly outstanding/outrageous will I hand-select lumber.
Most retail hardwood vendors will allow you to hand select stock, but they will, obviously, charge a premium for the privilege. Wholsesale vendors, otoh, will only provide standardly graded material as they receive it.
Obviously, the above is imo, my $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ... :)