What's Penofin?

Page 4 of 4

So why do you quote the previous thread at all? You don't seem to be very consistent.
todd

Not everyone obsessively follows every thread. Being able to follow a thread at any point is a useful feature. Since it's been done like this for years before top-posting became common, I don't see why it can't continue.
Mike

The real problem with top posting is that usenet is not concurrent.( or time synchronous, however you want to say it ...)
You may well see an answer before the question (that, in and of itself, is why top posting is evil). If you've top posted, it's excruciating to try and recreate the proper sequence of q first, then a.
OTOH, for email, top posting (or rather in that case, top replying) is fine .. all I really care about is the answer. I *already* know the question.
Now, back to Penofin. I've got no clue how to classify the stuff. I have had really good success with it though. SWMBO, before she was SWMBO, bought an unfinished bedroom set, and finished it with Penofin. Still looks great >25 years on.
A couple of years ago, I refinished a work bench top with the stuff. Great stuff, really like it.
Regards, JT
I ran a BBS in the late 70's and throughout the 80's, and figured out tcp/ip about '91. Top posting was around then as it is now ... the whole can of worms is just something else to take sides on and bitch about. The way things are going in this culture, someone will probably get killed over the asinine issue one of these days. How f*cking stupid can we become?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
I'm not entirely sure what the "missing ingredient" in it is, but it seems to work pretty well. Have had it on a cabin in northern NM now for 3 years and still looks great. Cheers, cc
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:31:56 -0400, Jamie Jackson

I know it's much more fun to argue the point, and if the OP took my advice on calling the company, I didn't see it here. In any case, I just called the company. While they didn't provide a list of ingredients, they did confirm that the product does not contain varnish.
todd
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:23:02 -0500, "todd"

Hah, I'll bet we called at the same time... I wonder if she's scratching her head.... I called about 15 minutes ago, and was about to report back to the wreck. As you posted, they said there's no varnish in Penofin.
Thanks, Jamie

Jamie - I wouldn't have minded seeing more information in this thread from folks who have had experience with Penofin. It does seem popular for outdoor applications like decks - one of the better non-opaque options. I used some Western Red Cedar Penofin (90% UV protection) on an outdoor table (western red cedar) I made last spring - it seems to "bring out" the red in the cedar in contrast to the Sikkens Cetol Natural I've used which looked more yellow on another of my western red cedar projects. So far so good with the table, but not really long enough to tell much. Is the Ultra Premium 99% UV protection?
I was concerned about any of the Penofin coming off when we were eating on the new table so I added several coats of wax to the top surface a month after the Penofin was applied. - Comments anyone?
Paul
--------------060206070308050900040802 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Paul,
You may have destroyed one of the best benefits of Penofin when you put the Minwax on top. Penofin just sinks into the wood. In a few fears you can just recoat it without sanding, stripping etc... I think the Minwax will need to be stripped before you can add a new coat of Penofin. I hope the minwax has a long exterior life!

--------------060206070308050900040802 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit