What's Penofin?

Jeffy?
Time to grow up Larry, you're not in grade school anymore.
Once you mature a bit more, you'll learn how to post too.
Jeff
Top posting works anywhere you want to do it (and it should be done everywhere.Keeps people from having to waste there time.)

As I understand it, the benefit of top-posting is that the reader doesn't have to read all the other stuff that came before. So, why quote any of the other stuff at all? Because if you do need to read previous posts in a thread, doing so in a top-posted thread is a PITA. Top-posters must be *really* big fans of Memento. (ok, I am too, but they must be really, really be big fans).
todd
People who worry about top and bottom posting should go out and find themselves a woman. Even if they are a woman.

(tom-who just committed his first top post)
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:21:42 -0400, Tom Watson

Tom, just because you've now stooped to a new low, doesn't mean everyone else should. Top posters are lazy.
I have a woman already, and don't need your lame advice.
Jeff ____________________________________________ You won't notice the splinters in the ladder of success, unless you are sliding down.
Why? Because we don't feel the need to force everyone to wade through the unnecessary crap before they read the relevant points? Efficiency is obviously a concept that you are not familiar with.
Top posters are lazy.
CW wrote:

<snip>
Personally, I don't care where a person posts their reply. I do wish everyone would edit the original message to remove the irrelevant junk though.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
CW wrote:

It's not standard, it's just *lazy*.
I don't care how many people do it, it's still wrong. End of discussion.
Nope, just the way it is. Get used to it.

discussion.
Well, I certainly learned something from this thread.
1) Bottom-posting does seem to be preferred by most NG users; at least those who have taken time to write an article or web page about it (Google +top +posting).
2) rec.woodworking is the first NG I've seen where people get seriously upset about top-posting. I'm not a newbie to the net (although I'll admit I don't take the time to read or learn what is proper etiquette), and I've yet to see, on any other NG I read, anyone get bent out of shape over top-posting.
Even though I don't see what the big deal is, I have no complaints. If I'm at someone's house, and I know they don't appreciate curse words, I'll watch my tongue to accomodate my hosts. As with many NG's, the "wreck" has a core group of folks who post frequently, are knowledgeable about the subject matter, and set the tone of the discussions. If these "hosts" feel top-posting doesn't belong here, that's good enough for me. (Please don't jump down my throat if I forget sometime, though! I have Outlook Express, and when replying, the insertion cursor goes right to the top of the message).

Try it on alt.food.barbecue The guys here are very mild by comparison.

Top posting would be OK to make one reply to one message and end of thread. When you have a group of replies, chronoligical order just makes sense.

There is a program called "QuoteFix" that takes care of it. Ed
Keith Carlson wrote:

You think this is bad, try alt.os.linux.mandrake... :)
I'm not a post nazi. I don't start these things. When someone else does, I can't resist chipping in my two cents, because dammit, top posting is hideous. Especially when people only add one line and don't even separate that line from the 500 lines of reply text with a carriage return.
So is bottom posting. Scrolling through 500 lines to get to the one line comment is no better.
The biggest problem is that, somewhere along the way, (*cough* 1995) people began to get the idea that reply text was supposed to be immutable. They stopped clipping it, and started including layer after layer after layer of it with every message. I think this is because early versions of M$'s Outhouse didn't allow the reply text to be edited, but I had the good sense never to use that pile of crap, so I can't say for sure. (I was using Agent long before the Outhouse came out, and continued to use it long after.)
The *best* style is the style I use, which I learned by example way back when leg warmers were all the rage and Michael Jackson was black. Some call it the "inline" method. It's neither top nor bottom posting, but rather, it's the *correct* method (dammit!). It reads like a Q&A article in a magazine:

(A:) Not enough.

(A:) I tell her that my old planes are broken, and can't be fixed.

So what? I'm using KNode, and when replying, the insertion cursor goes right to the top of the message. This encourages me to go through the sometimes many-layered reply text as I go, clipping out the extra bits, and leaving just enough of the previous post(s) to give my own comments some context on a parragraph by parragraph basis.
But anyway, I'll shut up now. This has all been said 15 million times before.
Damn sight better than the bottom posters that force you to scroll past all the stuff you have already read to get to the message. You're walking down the street. Someone comes up to you and asks "do you know how to get to Elmwood Road"? You respond "do you know how to get to Elmwood Road? Yes. it is to blocks over. Their attention quickly turns from trying to find Elmwood Road to trying to determine where the loony bin is you escaped from.

all
from.
That's why I do the best of both. I bottom post but will snip long postings. That way you can read it the way English is meant to be read, top to bottom, but don't have to wade through loads of stuff. I suppose when you read the newspaper you start at the end and work your way up.
todd
No, but when I watch the second half of a two part television show I skip the scenes from last week. Already seen them. Why would I want to see them again?

down
Yes.
top
I just opened and read Silvan's reply, then I opened and read CW's reply, then i opened and read your reply. All in the span of say 30 seconds. I have no desire to reread what I just a few seconds ago read in each of the previous articles, nor scroll past the sentences you choose to include as pertinent to your reply.
OTOH, when I go to read tomorrow morning, say, and continue in an established thread, I may or may not remember all the pertinent details from the poster who's article with which I start. So, I can easily skim the included text, BELOW the new reply. It's there if I need it and not in my way if I don't (which, being non real time, I prolly won't, cause my memory usually lasts longer than 12-24 hours :-)
What bottom posters seem to not understand, is that this is not a real time conversation. Do any of you read an article, wait so long that you've forgotten the gist of the article and need to reread it before reading a reply?
Why force everyone to scroll thru however many lines of text to get to the part in which you're interested in?
Seems somewhere along the line someone decided this has something to do w/Microsoft so we'll all be anti establishement and bottom post. Technology changes and one has to adapt. Clinging to this bottom posting cause it's the way it's always been done is silly.
I really don't understand how you folks traverse unsenet articles that you're so enamored of bottom posting and all the hassle of scrolling past previous replies time and again. Please explain.
Renata
--snip--

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:19:55 -0500, "todd"
--snip--

todd (no stain for email)
You're absolutly right.

Do your own google search on this subject so it doesn't have to be repeated in a news group for the millionth time. There are countless web sites where you can spend hours reading about this.
Good grief
Jeff ____________________________________________ You won't notice the splinters in the ladder of success, unless you are sliding down.

If you like doing things upside down, why not type backwards as well?
Most of us have learned to read English from left to right and top to bottom and consider top-to-bottom to be a logical sequence in time.

If there's so much text to skip, the problem isn't bottom posting, it's that the person posting is including too much text from the previous reply. I don't use a 24x80 screen anymore, so a reasonable message usually fits without scrolling.
Mike
Most of us can catch it the first time. We don't need to red it twice. Bottom posters must have Alzheimer's.