What's Penofin?

I picked up some Ultra Premium Wester Red Cedar colored Penofin for a douglas fir hammock stand I built. I wanted to read up (in the Flexner book) on whatever Penofin is, before I apply it. Is it an oil/varnish mix?

Thanks, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Jackson

hey, try this

you will be freaking amazed.

Reply to
goonair

Goonair,

Welcome to Usenet. You'll be surprised to know that in addition to subject lines, you can also read "message bodies," which usually explain the matter in more detail. In most news readers, you'll find that if you click the subject line, it will open a window containing all kinds of great information.

Henceforth, I'm sure you'll find your Usenet experience very much enriched!

Glad to help, Jamie Jacks>hey, try this

Jamie Jackson

Hey Jamie

Welcome to Usenet, it runs on the same network that has this thing called the Web on it, on the Web you can try

it is called a search engine, type in Penofin and press the search button, I am sure that there will be lots to read.

Henceforth, try there before asking here.

Froz ...

btw. try not to top post it is kinda frowned upon in most groups.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I do Google searches before I post to Usenet. These are the things I knew before posting:

  • Penofin is a penetrating oil-based finish.
  • The oil is Brazilian Rosewood.

I can find no further information on it which might tell me if it is solely penetrating oil, or if it an oil/varnish blend, not to mention finish manufacturers are less than forthcoming with regard to ingredients. Maybe it *is* just penetrating oil, and maybe that should be obvious, but I don't know. If it's a dumb question, it would actually be helpful if someone responded with, "that's a dumb question, it's just penetrating-oil, you should have known that because...." Or maybe they'd respond with the opposite... I don't know, that's why I asked.

I've learned that manufacturers call their finishes by all sorts of contradictory/misleading names, and that it can be hard to know what you're getting.

Does everyone have to preface their post with, "I've searched on Google, but...?" It seems that would get awfully redundant. Also, if you can find the composition of Penofin from Google search without undue effort, I'd be happy to learn your search techniques, but I coudn't find much more information than application tips, marketing copy, general information, etc.

Thanks, Jamie

P.S. As a rule of thumb, I top-post to top-posters, and bottom-post bottom-posters because it helps to keep the thread consistent, but that's just my preference -- not the golden rule.

Reply to
Jamie Jackson

And proud of it.

Yeah, that's f*#&ing useful.

Yeah, I'll bet their customer support folks have all read Flexner and are able to clarify how their product relates with his taxonomy of oil based finishes. That's probably question number one on their frequently asked questions script.

Someone comes here asking a relatively subtle finishing question looking for an expert answer. God knows that's not what rec.woodworking is for! Shut them up quick so we can get back to discussing JOAT's sex life and the latest closeout at the BORG.

Anyway, I've been curious about this question myself, and I haven't found the answer. So let's hear from someone who actually knows something.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Frankel

enter "+penofin +ingredients" without quotes, plus sign means both words must be on the returned page.

6th link down

exterior finishes were formulated to safeguard the natural beauty of wood and to prevent discoloration from the sun's ultraviolent rays. Penofin resists and retards the bleeding of nails. Two key ingredients contribute to Penofin's exceptional abilities:

Brazilian Rosewood (Oiticica) Oil provides tough, deep-down moisture protection while still allowing the wood to "breathe". There's no surface film to trap moisture... or chip... or peel.

Microscopically fine, transparent oxide pigments inhibit ultraviolent damage and darkening. They add deep, rich color without hiding the natural beauty of the grain. Our semi-transparent mist tones mimic the tones of weathered wood.

------------------------

I generally do not look beyond the 2nd page of links returned, will just revise my search terms.

There endeth todays lesson.

Froz ...

Reply to
FrozenNorth

This is why Larry Jaques (Bubba, er, buddha bless him) proposed the IDAGS acronym some time back.

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Actually, you don't even need the plus signs.

Reply to
Frank Nakashima

It helps depending on the search

Froz ...

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Only if it's a common word (and, of, etc.) that Google excludes. You also need to put a space between the plus sign and the word. Otherwise Google will only return results with all the words in typed in.

Reply to
Frank Nakashima

Check again:

" + " Searches

Google ignores common words and characters such as "where" and "how", as well as certain single digits and single letters, because they tend to slow down your search without improving the results. Google will indicate if a common word has been excluded by displaying details on the results page below the search box.

If a common word is essential to getting the results you want, you can include it by putting a "+" sign in front of it. (Be sure to include a space before the "+" sign.)

Froz ...

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Hey kids, seriously, thanks for the Google tips, but you still haven't answered the OP's question. First of all he was asking about the red label, not blue. Second you haven't found anything that says whether or not Penofin contains varnish resins.

"By precisely combining these and the remaining ingredients, we created a transparent oil wood finish of unmatched durability and beauty."

Mmmm, remaining ingredients.

Martin

FrozenNorth wrote:

Reply to
Martin Frankel

created

Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish and all that.

Reply to
Frank Nakashima

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot." -- Steven Wright

Martin

Reply to
Martin Frankel

"Fishing with Dynamite is a fun and relaxing hobby." --C.S.Strowbridge

Reply to
Frank Nakashima

Penofin

pen = penetrating o= Oil fin= Finish

Leo

Reply to
LJancila

On 18 Sep 2003 22:24:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.nospam (LJancila) pixelated:

This is NO time to introduce logic into the discussion.

----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!

Wondrous Website Design =================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sure, but check this out.

Danish Oil

Danish = Danish Oil = Oil

Strangely enough it's not a true oil finish, rather, it's a long-oil varnish, or an oil/varnish blend if you prefer.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Frankel

I'm not entirely sure what the "missing ingredient" in it is, but it seems to work pretty well. Have had it on a cabin in northern NM now for 3 years and still looks great. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson