What's next to buy?

if you plan to edge join any boards you better get a jointer.

Reply to
KYHighlander

I agree with this concept 99.9%...the only knock on it is that often, if you wait until the last minute, you end up having to buy less of a machine than you otherwise would have since the ONLY DP/OSS/BS that is available now or for the next 3 weeks is this Harbor Fright-type thing.

This can, obviously, be worked around by figuring out what you'll need BEFORE actually making chips/dust, but how many of us haven't jumped into a job just a teensy bit too quickly?

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

It depends, of course, on what you need to do. You can't resaw a board with a drill press and you can't bore a square hole with a bandsaw. You have to think about what you want to do that you currently can't because you don't have the tools to do it with.

(That said, I can tell you the my DP gets used far more often than my BS, and also far more often than I ever thought it would.)

John Carlson

Nawww.. You do it the MANLY way... It's the thrill of the hunt. Shop every thing all the time so that when the need arises you acn jump on it fully informed.

Reply to
Leon

Geez and to think that for 6 years I was edge joining boards and not using a jointer...;~)

Reply to
Leon

I'd look at a jointer and planar. You will need to have square/flat stock to really move forward. Now, in saying that, if you prefer, and a lot of us do, get yourself a couple of handplanes for these tasks. Can be pretty long work in the flattening department but for squaring an edge, a plane is pretty simple. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James Cubby Culbertson

Yeah, I have been using my router and a stright bit to give me a stright edge which to join, so I guess if that is working for me right now I can put off the jointer. Plus I get an almost perfect cut with my TS, at least when I make the cut I can flipp the boards and have them butt perfectly. I think that I will go with a 12 in DP now, on to which model to choose. I have a budget of 200.00 and would also like to get a set of forstner bits with the money.

Reply to
searcher1

Reply to
searcher1

that's it. thanks, Joe.

dave

Joe Wells wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Stright to Ozstralia? (-:

Reply to
Morris Dovey

If you get a drill press, make sure you get one that has a spindle travel of at LEAST 2.5", preferably longer. It may take time to find a model you like with this underappreciated feature, and maybe cost a little more, but IMHO, its worth it.

John

Reply to
JohnT.

You can also clamp a board on top of a piece of 12" wide plywood and let the plywood ride along the fence. Then cut the glue line on the TS where the board overhangs the opposite edge of the plywood.

Reply to
Leon

I agree with Edwin. Get at least a 12" swing. I got a bench top DP with a 10" swing and it's the bare minimum I could live with. I would've been nice if I had gotten one with a 12" swing at least.

Layne

Reply to
Layne

A lot of people have them and claim they're just dandy, but every one I've ever looked at has been incredibly crappy.

My first drill press was a 10" benchtop. It was very useful, but I found it somewhat limiting. Two or three years later, I swapped for a 15" floor model. If I had it all to do over again, I would have gone straight for the floor model.

I rarely use more than a quarter of the table travel, but I very regularly use more table travel than I had on the benchtop. It has a beefier chuck that runs truer, and actually grips small bits better than the smaller chuck did. A floor model can do everything a benchtop can do, but the reverse just isn't true.

Reply to
Silvan

The main difference I've noticed between bench top and floor standing drill presses is quill travel.

Most bench tops have 2 1/2" to 3" of quill travel. Most floor standers have 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" or more of quill travel.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Get over to Sears. They have 10% off on all Craftsman tools. At least you get a tool from someone you can trust. I bought a couple this morning. You really need good tools you do a good job.

Ralph Engerman R. E. Quick Transit.

Reply to
R. E. Engerman

It was assimilated by the second "p" in flip.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

trust Sears? on equipment? If I drank coffee, I'd have it all over me now. You crack me up, R.E!

dave

R. E. Engerman wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I didnt even catch that one....

Reply to
searcher1

Big congrads on the router/table saw use for squaring boards. That is how we learn. Recent tool book had Rigid DP, 15 inch as a good #2, which was $100 USD less than #1. My BORG has that for $298. Patience is more than a virtue.

Reply to
Len