What's in your toolbelt ?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 05:46:29 +0000, Trusshauler

When I was raised up as a carpenter we were told to carry the following in our aprons:
Scribers. Keel. Utility knife. Two nail sets.
A carpenter's pencil went behind your ear.
A tape hooked onto your belt.
The rest went into a tote.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

Keel?
Chalk, usually blue, hemispherical.

"CW" wrote in message

Color must be a regional thing ... it was always red chalk when I first heard the term in the UK way back when, and was spelled "keyle", at least the only time I saw it on a list.
AAMOF, the chalk, "red ocher" or "reddle, IIRC, would actually turn you red if handled enough.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07
Tom Watson wrote:

A what?
Trusshauler wrote:

I used to carry a kit like that- even did a stint stacking trusses for a while. that was 20someodd years ago, and the state of the art in framing tools has changed somewhat, and I haven't seen the need to update mine in a while so the names have changed, but I suspect the designs haven't, much.
I went through a few sets of toolbelts, settled on a high-end one the name of which escapes me now- I haven't seen it in a while. I have a lightweight cotton apron with a couple of pockets that I use when I need to move around with some fasteners and a tool or two, which does happen occasionally. if I'm going to do any amount of actual framing work, which will be happening here when I start building the new shop in a month or so, I'll wear an old leather 3pocket bag that I inherited somehow. it's nothing fancy, and I'll never load it up with much, but it'll let me climb up into the rafters with a load of clavos and a rock-on-a-stick to put stuff together.
funny now to look back at taking so much pride in framing tools, but I sure did.
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 05:46:29 +0000, Trusshauler

I don't *like* to carry anything in a toolbelt, but on the occasions where I need to for one reason or another, I just load it with what I figure I'm going to need for the job.
The only real constants are a framing hammer on one side, and another hammer or a hammer tacker on the other (yeah, I've gotten more than a few funny looks over that, but it helps to balance the weight out so my hips don't scream at me,) utility knife, speed square, tape measure, cat's paw, chalk line, and 1.5" chisel. There's usually more in there, but as noted, it depends on the job at hand.
Much nicer is the tool bag with a rubber bottom for carrying all my assorted odds and ends. Some contractors will give you hell for using one of those instead of a belt- but if you can get away with it, it makes life a lot easier. A few years wearing a belt can mess up your joints pretty good.
Trusshauler wrote:

About the only time I wear one is if I'm putting up siding or drywall. Then I'll carry:
A few handfuls of nails or screws. Drill or hammer. Ratcheting screwdriver. Tape measure. Utility knife.
Mark
I wear pants or jeans with side pockets, called "carpenter" jeans. That should handle almost anything that isn't a hammer or drill...which I carry when needed.
I don't know about you guys, but if something comes up that I would need the hammer, it's not that big of deal to walk out to the truck or visit the toolbox.
I don't own any pneumatic nailers and am an amature handyman. If I was a professional, the story would change.
How do you handle demo work? do you carry your heavy tool belt around while you're swinging a sledge?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Well, I pretty much just use the tool belt as a handy way to carry lots of screws or nails if I need them for a particular job. And when I do wear it, I'll add a few more tools (screwdriver or hammer, tape measure, utility knife) that I use a lot.
For other stuff, demo work or whatever, I'll forego the tool belt.
Mark