What's for supper

For the uninitiated the noon meal in the South is dinner and the evening meal is supper.
Tonight was 7/8 inch ribeyes, hand selected for lotsa marbeling, marinated in olive oil, garlic, black pepper, and balsamic vinegar, quick fried in a cast iron skillet to medium rare.
Salad on the side consisted of romaine lettuce, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, capers, avocados and feta cheese.
Served with homemade whole wheat bread and real butter(not the sweet cream crap you get in the grocery store).
And a beer to wash it down.
basilisk

On 8/17/2010 9:20 PM, basilisk wrote:

Ya done good! ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Thanks, Rod.
Dave in Houston
"basilisk" wrote:

Also in my part of farm country. ------------------------------

If the grill is not available, works for me.
-----------------------------------

Keep the green goop. ---------------------------------

-------------------- I'll take it.
Ya done good Olly.
Lew
sounds like I eat every day! good isn't
Len

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:11:12 -0400, lennn99 wrote:

I did.
basilisk
Well, I do weigh over 400 lbs. could be the reason
len

Nice!

It's also southern tradition, and a cajun one, to invite us over to "pass a good time" !
Sonny
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 03:33:55 -0700 (PDT), Sonny wrote:

Oops, my bad. :)
basilisk
On 8/18/2010 6:52 AM, basilisk wrote:

... and that's me too, cher!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Robatoy wrote:

Outside of places like urban KC or such also in midwest and west. AFAICT it's mostly a country/city thing from the places I've been.

Midday supper turned into lunch when school didn't allow enough time between morning and afternoon sessions for a family meal. Wageningen, Netherlands, late 50's.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

I'd never heard of a midday meal as "supper" before at all...
"Lunch" for farm kids in farming country was what city folks w/ desk jobs did. Also what took in the brown small paper bag or the Roy Rogers lunchbox to grade school as there was no such thing as school lunches then... :)

Certainly there were no school lunches in my time over there. In high school there was a lunchroom, or whatever it was called for the kids who couldn't go home because it was too far.
But early on in grade school, we had the hot meal of the day around noon, and sandwiches again at night.
--
Best regards
Han

us. I bought 3 lunches at 33 cents each. That left a penny which was used to buy a penny candy on the way home. Remember penny candies?
On 8/18/2010 4:40 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I had to pick up pop bottles in the ditches on the way home to get candy money ... but it worked.
Again, try that today ... ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

neighborhood. offering the service of taking the pop bottles away. I would haul them to the store and buy candy. My parents did not believe in candy. So I had to work for it!
I remember one store with 2 for a penny, three for a penny and five for a penny candies.
26 cents bought you a pack of cigarrettes if you could find somebody old enough to buy them for you or, somebody with handwriting good enough to write a note to state they were for your parents.
Later we discovered 25 cent milkshakes (long bike ride downtown) at DQ but the Blizzard came out for an extra 10 cents. Parents didn't want to spring for the extra money and you would have to eat for the next few days after one.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message
We walked to school and my dad gave me a dollar to buy lunches for three of us. I bought 3 lunches at 33 cents each. That left a penny which was used to buy a penny candy on the way home. Remember penny candies?