What's for supper

For the uninitiated the noon meal in the South is dinner and the evening meal is supper.

Tonight was 7/8 inch ribeyes, hand selected for lotsa marbeling, marinated in olive oil, garlic, black pepper, and balsamic vinegar, quick fried in a cast iron skillet to medium rare.

Salad on the side consisted of romaine lettuce, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, capers, avocados and feta cheese.

Served with homemade whole wheat bread and real butter(not the sweet cream crap you get in the grocery store).

And a beer to wash it down.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Ya done good! ...

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks, Rod.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

--------------------------- Also in my part of farm country.

------------------------------

------------------------ If the grill is not available, works for me.

-----------------------------------

------------------------------------- Keep the green goop.

---------------------------------

-------------------- I'll take it.

Ya done good Olly.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

sounds like I eat every day! good isn't

Len

Reply to
lennn99

Nice!

Reply to
Robatoy

It's also southern tradition, and a cajun one, to invite us over to "pass a good time" !

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I can't eat like that every day, I would weigh 400 lbs, if I did.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Oops, my bad. :)

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

... and that's me too, cher!

Reply to
Swingman

... Outside of places like urban KC or such also in midwest and west. AFAICT it's mostly a country/city thing from the places I've been.

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:i4gnvr$422$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Midday supper turned into lunch when school didn't allow enough time between morning and afternoon sessions for a family meal. Wageningen, Netherlands, late 50's.

Reply to
Han

I'd never heard of a midday meal as "supper" before at all...

"Lunch" for farm kids in farming country was what city folks w/ desk jobs did. Also what took in the brown small paper bag or the Roy Rogers lunchbox to grade school as there was no such thing as school lunches then... :)

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:i4groc$n6g$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Certainly there were no school lunches in my time over there. In high school there was a lunchroom, or whatever it was called for the kids who couldn't go home because it was too far.

But early on in grade school, we had the hot meal of the day around noon, and sandwiches again at night.

Reply to
Han

Well, I do weigh over 400 lbs. could be the reason

len

Reply to
lennn99

RE: School Lunches

Had on site hot lunches during grade school in the late '40s.

Still remember, Lunch was 15 cents, carton of milk was a nickle (white or choclate), made it a whole $1.00/week.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We walked to school and my dad gave me a dollar to buy lunches for three of us. I bought 3 lunches at 33 cents each. That left a penny which was used to buy a penny candy on the way home. Remember penny candies?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I had to pick up pop bottles in the ditches on the way home to get candy money ... but it worked.

Again, try that today ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Ah yes, the returnable pop bottles. I used go door to door, around the neighborhood. offering the service of taking the pop bottles away. I would haul them to the store and buy candy. My parents did not believe in candy. So I had to work for it!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I remember one store with 2 for a penny, three for a penny and five for a penny candies.

26 cents bought you a pack of cigarrettes if you could find somebody old enough to buy them for you or, somebody with handwriting good enough to write a note to state they were for your parents.

Later we discovered 25 cent milkshakes (long bike ride downtown) at DQ but the Blizzard came out for an extra 10 cents. Parents didn't want to spring for the extra money and you would have to eat for the next few days after one.

Reply to
Josepi