What's a good height for a router table?

Page 1 of 2

Okay, I'm on the last leg of my planning efforts for a router table. My workbench is 35" high, but playing around with some mock-setups, it seems that a router table might do well to be a bit higher.
Right now, I'm planning on a height of 39".
Oh, I'm 5' 10".
Thanks!
Jack
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

Mine is about 34 inches. I would like it better if it were the same height as my table saw. In fact, it might help to be an inch higher that the table saw. The height thing is so subjective however. I am 5' 11" or so. Jim
Jack,
You may want to take a look at Pat Warner's site (www.patwarner.com) and see what he has said about router table working heights. Mine is mounted into my tablesaw extension since I'm short on room but if I did have a separate table it sure would be higher than 34". I think for your height, 41" would be about right.
Bob S.
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

I was looking at the various router tables on the market and most of them are 35" tall. Some are variable, ranging from 34 to 37. I'll set up a mock table at 41 and try that. The 39" height seemed WAY better than the height of my bench (35").
I might even consider raising the height of my bench!
Jack
BobS wrote:

My workbench is at 34", my router table at 36.5" and I could use it a couple of inches higher. 41" would be way too high for me (I'm 5'11")
djb
--
Go read this. Now.
<http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html
at wrote:

Mine's around 41-42", which might be a little high for most people, but it is what worked given that I built it as an add-on to my Workmate. I actually like the height - so far I've used it for small stuff so lifting isn't an issue. I hate bending over for any extended period of time, and I like being close to the work and being able to see it clearly. I wouldn't want my workbench this high, but it is good for table-routing. I like the idea of building in adjustable legs to be able to tweak the height, but if it were me, I'd try a few heights, and pick one that works. Good luck, Andy
Sorry I forgot to mention - I'm 6'1".
Andy wrote:

The other thing, of course, is that some folks are "all legs" and others aren't. As you say, it's mostly see what works for you and go with that.
Well, based on what people have said, I'll rig it up for my best guess height and make it so that I can easily (or at least not with having to reinvent the world) make it so that I can adjust the height at a later date if necessary.
I think the way I'll do this is by having a toe-kick platform (on wheels) that screws into the base. If necessary, I can unscrew the base and modify the height. But of course, even this approach has its limitations.
Thanks!
Jack
Andy wrote:

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

Put adjustable feet on it so that you can tweak it just like you like it. It really all boils down to where you hips are and how long your arms are. For some tall may be just right for others shorter may be better.
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

I'm the same height. Mine is 1/2" higher than the workbench. Why? It sits next to it and if I run a piece over the edge it will not bump on the bench top. Whatever feels good to you. Most commercial units are in the 35 to 36" range but if you like higher, go for it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

36-11/32"
Dam you're pretty short there Robatoy..........but precise .......;-)

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

The larger the stuff you work with, the lower. I have a shaper for the heavy lifting at 34 1/2, so the router table is at my elbow height like the centerline of the lathe. Your inseam, not your overall height, is what counts. I had to run a mile to compress my spine to make the 37 1/2" sitting height max for USAF, and I'm only 6'.
Jack,
I am 5' 11" and I built mine a total of 42" including the caster and find it to be perfect for me. Each of us have a different comfort level and I really do not think it is a case of one size fits all. Experiment around and find a height that feels good and then plan around that.
Bob
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:41:10 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

I'm the same height, and my table is 37" I think 39" would be OK, but would not want it any higher. OTOH, it's easy enough to make it high, then trim it off as desired.
Barry Lennox
You should stand before a tape and place your arms in a comfortable position and mimic working pieces. If it feels good Do it!
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

Use the adjustable height of the drill press table as an experimental platform. Should tell you in no time what is right for you.
Routers ******************* http://www.patwarner.com
Now you know why we pay Pat the big bucks........great ideas and solutions!
Bob S.