What protective gloves for lacquer thinner? (2023 Update)

My lacquer thinner ate through 10 pairs of nitrite gloves this morning trying to do some cleanup work. I have some heavy duty chemical resistance gloves but those are too bulky to do for any detail work so what kind of thin protective gloves to use for lacquer thinner?

Reply to
Fred

Nitrile gloves should not dissolve in lacquer. Are you sure they weren't latex?

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

are you SURE they are nitrile? that's what you are supposed to use, Fred. maybe they are ultra cheap OR they aren't nitrile after all.

Dave

Reply to
David

most common gloves at Borgs are vinyl and latex. I get my nitrile's at Kelly Moore.

Reply to
David

I don't buy latex anymore just nitrile gloves - the blue and purple ones, two different brands. I noticed it rip, not dissolve, at the thumb area a lot faster with lacquer thinner.

Reply to
Fred

Nitrile gloves are recommended for lacquers?

See:

no(SPAM)vasys

Thanks for the link. Great reference.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks for all the comments. Its suppose to be nitrile gloves, its also stated as such on the box, but the consenses indicated it should be compatable with lacquer thinner, now I'm not so sure. It does last about 5x longer than the latex gloves. Do those gloves have a shelf life? Its about 2 years old as I'm down the my last pair out of a box of 100?

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
root

:) I don't think that would be a good idea.

laminated gloves would be his best bet; for disposables, nitrile is still the glove of choice, but they won't last too long, esp if the there's a fair amount of ketone in the lacquer thinner.

Dave

Reply to
David

Neat thing about it is the nitrile gloves are vulnerable to ketones. Lacquer thinner has MEK, acetone and others in its several formulations. Sort of a disconnect here.

Reply to
George

The only thing I've found that eats nitrile gloves is methylene chloride paint stripper. I found that out the hard and painful way. I doubled up and changed pairs often to finish the job, and will buy a pair of neoprene gloves for the next stripping job.

========================================================== CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had the same question. Turns out that "lacquer thinner" isn't well-defined. Different manufacturers use different formulations. My can came from Ace, so I went back and asked for the MSDS. I compared the ingredients with a chemical resistance chart that came with my nitrile gloves. Oh No! There is no single glove (or pair...) that is resistant to everything in the can.

So, get the MSDS for the stuff you have, and only then start looking for gloves.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

It doesn't dissolve nitrile it just leaks through... Ask me how I know.

Reply to
ChaimD