What paste wax for table saw top?

Page 2 of 2

They quit selling it in California. It causes cancer there. <g> SH

Yeah, but only in Californians, so it's perfectly safe for the rest of us.
Dave "That, or it's a politics thing rather than a science thing" Hinz
It's still available in some stores in CA. For instance, Orchard Supply and Lowe's. I've seen it as recently as a few weeks ago. It HAS been harder to find than years ago, however...
David.
Slowhand wrote:

.

I opened up a bag of Mesquite Kingsford Charcoal. The warning label indicated that in California the smoke could cause birth defects and or cancer.

They are also big on not blow drying your hair while in the shower. More cancer I guess. Alright, I'm sorry, no more quips. SH
so can the air in LA! (I was down in LaLa land last week and wonder how/why folks live there!)
David
Leon wrote:

Johnson's is still manufactured. It's tough to find in some areas, but it's still available. Your best bets are real hardware stores (e.g. Ace, Tru-Value, or any independent mom-and pop operation) and smaller grocery stores.
Lowe's does carry it, but not in every store. They can probably order it for you. According to a post by Silvan earlier this year, the Lowe's stock number is 44690.
Home Depot and WalMart are alleged to have it in some stores. I've never seen it at either one, and nobody has posted stock numbers.
You can also order it direct from the manufacturer: http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder /

It's a bad idea in any event. Most automobile waxes contain silicone, which will cause "fish-eye" in a lot of wood finishes. You don't want silicone anywhere near any of your woodworking tools.

Johnson's, or Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax.
I didn't read all of the responses so forgive if this is repetitive.
I use a non-silicon product called Slipit. It is a contact lubricant but works well on metal tables and does not leave a residue. It come is both paste and spray form and the salesman at the Grizzly store recomended paste for durability. You brush the gooey paste on with a brush, then wipe it off with a rag. Sounds messy but not that bad. The lubricant also frees up your miter gages and if your fence rides on the table it will slide more smoothly for a while.
A can of paste is available through Grizzly for about $10. I have had a can for about 2-1/2 years and use it on everything 4-5 times a year and have used less than 1/4 of the content. It might be available other places too.
Ron

I use Johnsons paste wax. And yes, it is still available. I've used it for years. I have never had the urge to use anything else. And at $5 and change a can, it won't leave you short on soup for the family. I've had the same can for about 2 years now and prolly have another year left. When I first started applying it, I probably applied it every cuppla months or so. Now I just apply it every six months or so. Highly recommend. SH
It is only a rumor that Johnson's Wax is no longer manufactured. It is available in many locations (you just need to look).
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:26:23 -0400, "Billy Smith"

I found SC Johnson still sells the paste wax. Here is a link http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder / Frank
Billy Smith wrote:

What I've read is to use a furniture paste wax like Butchers. You can get this at Home Depot in the paint section. Don't use a paste wax that has a silicone in it like the car waxes.
Thunder
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:26:23 -0400, "Billy Smith"

Who ever told you that Johnson's was no longer made steered you wrong, it is definitely STILL in production
Butcher's Bowling Alley wax is also good, as is Renasance Wax, as is TriWax
John
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:26:23 -0400, "Billy Smith"

I use Trewax brand paste wax (the clear color; they also have a brownish one called Indian Sand). I use the same as a final coat on the pieces I make. It's silicone free.
No longer manufactured? SC Johnson (the manufacturer) sells it on their website. I can buy it locally too.

'tis true. It's no longer made. I checked with them myself.... They have residual stock, that they sell on the Internet only and if you find some in a store, buy it as it's all that's left....
Good luck Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"CW" <no adddress@spam free.com> wrote in message
Ace has Johnson's online:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 20111&cp=&keywords=paste+wax&searchIdS59626242&parentPage=search
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:26:23 -0400, "Billy Smith"