What paste wax for table saw top?

They quit selling it in California. It causes cancer there. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:56:38 -0700, Slowhand > Check the floor polish/mop area in grocery stores as well.

Yeah, but only in Californians, so it's perfectly safe for the rest of us.

Dave "That, or it's a politics thing rather than a science thing" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I use Johnsons paste wax. And yes, it is still available. I've used it for years. I have never had the urge to use anything else. And at $5 and change a can, it won't leave you short on soup for the family. I've had the same can for about 2 years now and prolly have another year left. When I first started applying it, I probably applied it every cuppla months or so. Now I just apply it every six months or so. Highly recommend. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Reply to
Phisherman

It's still available in some stores in CA. For instance, Orchard Supply and Lowe's. I've seen it as recently as a few weeks ago. It HAS been harder to find than years ago, however...

David.

Slowhand wrote:

Reply to
David

Reply to
Slowhand

so can the air in LA! (I was down in LaLa land last week and wonder how/why folks live there!)

David

Reply to
David

Reply to
items4sale

What I've read is to use a furniture paste wax like Butchers. You can get this at Home Depot in the paint section. Don't use a paste wax that has a silicone in it like the car waxes.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

Actually, I did. It wound up sitting on the table for about 10-15 mins before I cleaned it off (I just wanted to see what would happen), and I didn't see any rust under drops when I wiped it off.

Trace

Reply to
William Wilson

Not sure exactly how the top should be cleaned (VERY new at this). After unpacking the saw, I wiped it down about 3-4 times with kerosene, wiped it a couple of times with with clean paper towels, then applied the TopCote. Like I said before, with all the positive feedback on the product, I'm pretty sure it's me, not the product.

As for not buffing the wax, yep, I found that out. I tried buffing it after I saw the mess, but that did no good, so I took a scrap of stock and ran it across the surface for a few mins. Smoothed out the finish, and it seems to be working well...no rust, nice slick top. When it comes time to reapply, I'll definately remember to buff!!!

Oh well, I guess this is part of the fun...trying something that you THINK will work, then going back and doing it correctly!! ;-) Maybe next time I should just LISTEN to the sage advice offered here!!

Trace

Reply to
William Wilson

Who ever told you that Johnson's was no longer made steered you wrong, it is definitely STILL in production

Butcher's Bowling Alley wax is also good, as is Renasance Wax, as is TriWax

John

Reply to
John

I use Trewax brand paste wax (the clear color; they also have a brownish one called Indian Sand). I use the same as a final coat on the pieces I make. It's silicone free.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

No longer manufactured? SC Johnson (the manufacturer) sells it on their website. I can buy it locally too.

Reply to
CW

'tis true. It's no longer made. I checked with them myself.... They have residual stock, that they sell on the Internet only and if you find some in a store, buy it as it's all that's left....

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Reply to