What paste wax for table saw top?

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote works but is expensive.
I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).
Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily available wax for this purpose?
--Billy

I use Minwax paste wax.
Billy Smith

That's what I use. I first use an automotive type buffer and Dupont buffing compound to clean it up. I then apply several coats of the wax buffing out each coat. Rob Mills ~
PS, I didn't use the buffing compound on my new saw.
"Billy Smith" wrote in message

A better to reason to not use a car polish is that it may contain silicone and you don't want that in your shop.

You can still buy JPW here at the BORG.
Try TopCote ... it is more expensive, but works better and lasts longer. Available at just about any woodworking supply store: Rockler, WoodCraft, Cutting Edge,. Porter Cable stores, and many places that supply cabinet parts and hardware to the trades.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

I have been very disappointed in TopCote. Minwax paste wax works better for me. TopCote is very expensive. Maybe I'm not applying right. But I find Minwax works better and lasts longer. What am I doing wrong?
Bob

Funny. That is the exact opposite of my experience. I was using paste wax but was disappointed and was constantly applying more wax. Now that I am using TopCote, the treatments are few and far between.
Al
"Bob" wrote in message

I seem to have read that somewhere. :)

Nothing at all ... it's likely a climatic thing. You use what works best for you in your particular climate.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

I have to admit that I tried TopCote for the first time, here in FL, and I'm having problems with it as well. First I applied a coat and wiped off...found rust the next day. Tried again with the same results. Posted a message here and got a suggestion to put it on but not wipe it off. Tried that, too. After applying two coats & not wiping off, was working near the saw, and a couple of drops of sweat fell on the table top. I figured it should be fine, but 20 mins later when I looked back, the drops of sweat had rusted the table.
Went back to Johnson's paste wax I had a bought a couple of months ago. Put on a liberal coat and left it (unbuffed). As of now (a week later, and a couple of projects later) no rust. I did have a small issue with the first couple of boards sticking a little bit, so I guess I should have buffed it out, but when I was using the unbuffed TopCote, I found that it made the top VERY sticky.
Just my experience, and I assume that I'm doing something wrong with the product because of all the people here that rave about it, but I guess it's just too high-tech for me ;-)
Trace

While nothing is perfect, salt water is pretty corrosive. I am not sure anything is going to protect against standing salt water. I believe that most of the protective products are more aimed at constant humid conditions that cause large areas of rust.
"Leon" wrote in message of sweat had rusted the table.

I wonder if he sweated on the JPW as well?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Actually, I did. It wound up sitting on the table for about 10-15 mins before I cleaned it off (I just wanted to see what would happen), and I didn't see any rust under drops when I wiped it off.
Trace
Did you clean the top completely before you applied the TopCote ??? I live on a salt creek and 3 miles from the ocean and Topcote works fine on all my tools.
Johnson's paste wax left unbuffed is going to be a sticky mess.
William Wilson wrote:

Not sure exactly how the top should be cleaned (VERY new at this). After unpacking the saw, I wiped it down about 3-4 times with kerosene, wiped it a couple of times with with clean paper towels, then applied the TopCote. Like I said before, with all the positive feedback on the product, I'm pretty sure it's me, not the product.
As for not buffing the wax, yep, I found that out. I tried buffing it after I saw the mess, but that did no good, so I took a scrap of stock and ran it across the surface for a few mins. Smoothed out the finish, and it seems to be working well...no rust, nice slick top. When it comes time to reapply, I'll definately remember to buff!!!
Oh well, I guess this is part of the fun...trying something that you THINK will work, then going back and doing it correctly!! ;-) Maybe next time I should just LISTEN to the sage advice offered here!!
Trace

If you can't find it locally, you can still get Johnson's Paste Wax directly from the manufacturer:
http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder /
Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI
Great link.
They only want $5.80/can. The last time that I bought the Minwax paste wax at Lowes it was closer to $10 IIRC.
$5.99 shipping/no tax is not bad if you buy a couple of cans.
Thanks,
Steve

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:26:23 -0400, "Billy Smith"

meguiar's carnauba paste wax. get it at an automotive parts store.

While TopCote looks expensive, I have only used 3 cans of it since 1989. I live in humid Houston so it does get tested. Keep in mind to put on at least 2 liberally heavy coats to start and as time goes by you can use it less and less. Now I use it to simply slick up the surface, which is what it was originally intended for. I discovered that it also kept the rest away. And, it is simple to use. Spray it on, wipe it off if you want. I never wipe it off any more.

Johnson's paste wax is carried by Ace Hardware.
Bob
calmly ranted:

I've seen it at Walmart in two different states, too. Check the floor polish/mop area in grocery stores as well.
--- - Friends don't let friends use FrontPage - http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Programming