what next? laid off w/

Page 3 of 3

Ain't the internet amazing? not only can you learn about foriegn lands, but also the town next door. If you're willing to sift through the chaf. Also, I've heard the Reeds sells the pre-mixed shellac, if you're into that.

I don't know if it has moved (I've only been here since '95). But if you want to get there from C-burg; Take 460 to Prices Fork towards campus. Make a left at the light by Wendy's. Make a left at the first road allowed (almost directly across Main St. from Advance Auto). Heavener's the first buisiness on the left. Down the road and across the street is their wood storage shed (good place for free pallets if needed). Rental center is around the corner.
Heavener just purchased the house next door and demo'd it. Now there is new steel on the Heavener bldg. I can hardly wait to see what goes in there!
Both Reeds and Heavener are absolutely woderful to deal with . The selection, employees, and even the price on 90% of the stuff in there beats the Borgs hands down.
George Eversole Jr. wrote:

Yeah, it's amazing, and yet somehow also slightly sad. Part of it is my job though. I spend more than 90% of my working hours completely alone. It sure is different from my old job, standing around in the parking lot after work and drinking beer, going over to people's houses for dinner and stuff.

I'm tooling up to get into box making. Haven't actually done anything fancy yet, but I'm heading that way. When I do, I think I will finally give shellac a try.

I still haven't managed to get to either place since this topic came up. I have an excuse for shopping at Lowe's so much though. I live behind Play-it Again Sports, and Lowe's is clearly the choice for a quick hop. I have to go through a lot more stop lights to get anywhere else, including the Despot. I can get to Lowe's and only have to go through two of them.

thanks. raising 3 kids is actually more than a forty hour a week job, as women have been trying to tell us for, weeellll, ages.
Bill Ranck states:

In Bedford County, the 2001 phone book has these listings (under Sawmills, all 540 AC): Ashwell Lumber Co., Huddleston, 297-8954; WJ Cox & Son Sawmill, Moneta, 297-5818; Smith Mountain Land & Lumber, Huddleston, 297-1205 (I bought a load of walnut from them almost a decade ago...good wood, but not something they have often, and I'm not sure they cut anything but bridge timbers any more); TNT Sawmill, Goode, 586-4466; R. L. Woolfolk Sawmill, Goode, 586-2407.
I don't have the new book with me. Somewhere in there you should find some green lumber at rational prices. Too, there are at least 2 others I know of that are still in business, but don't list their phones under Sawmills. Basically, they're so busy they can't deal with small orders except from old customers and friends.
In Concord, VA, there's Naked Creek Lumber Co., advertising furniture grade hardwoods. Appointment only. 800-660-0182. Kind of out of the district, but what the hey. Moneta Farm Service MIGHT have some hardwoods: I've never checked there so don't know. 297-5558.
Wholesale lumber out of Rustburg comes from Lenwood Builders--they use your logs. 804-821-2409.
Campbell-Payne in Lynchburg might also have some hardwoods. 804-847-8803.
Obviously, in all these cases, a call before a drive makes sense.
Good luck.
Charlie Self
"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico