what next? laid off w/

Page 2 of 3
ps. it has been a few years since I last visited this newsgroup. It has changed, and from my viewpoint, I am not sure for the better...

thanks, I do appreciate it. It is not that there are no jobs here, there are but local grocery store work or driving school buses dont compare with just this one last (?) chance to do what I have always wanted to do...
Go for it! Man, life is short like my folks used to tell me. As I grow older, I gain more understanding of exactly what that means. Here, $8 an hour is "good" money. Wonder why we have so many Mexicans moving in? MS & AR are definitely somewhere not to live if you want to make money. I am looking at a job now on the east coast that would pay

let them figure it out while they are sucking guts of of chickens for $8 hour.
On 04 Sep 2003 15:39:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (mmiller4342) wrote:

Depends on where in the east. I some areas, you'd be a pauper trying to pay the rent/mortgage on a mere 75k Check the real estate listings before you say yes to the job. Ed
Thanks! I would be traveling mostly. I live in Arkansas. Where can one stay for a week or two rather cheaply? I'm OK with eating out. Any motels with apartments? Just a generic question.

What cities will you be near?
Don't know. Field is Emergency Management. So, not to be a smartass, I guess anywhere there is a disaster.

That's what I did for 19 years, got tired and quit to start own business. Miss it some times though.

Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, plus you moved to West Virginia, which must have been painful in of itself. :)
Silvan responds:

No comment. But I could have moved to Northern Virginia and gone immediately bankrupt. Not to mention the traffic up there.
But you're in Blacksburg, IIRC. Came through there on game day last week, but was fortunate enough to do so before 10:30 a.m. when traffic was fairly close to moderate.
Charlie Self
"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico
Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, true enough. I could be working in my field instead of driving a truck if I moved to NoVA or maybe NYC or elsewhere similar, but it's not worth it.

I live in Christiansburg. I avoid Blacksburg absolutely as much as possible, for all manner of reasons. Nothing there I need, except a dentist, and occasionally a good margarita.
Traffic is a lot more moderate than it used to be now that I have a 15' high concrete wall outside my bedroom window. I live between the old 460 and the new 460, right at the base of the new one.
Now my greatest traffic concern is all those damn flapping VT car flags. Listening to those things going by again and again is enough to make a man start to have dark thoughts. Very dark thoughts. Must. Stop. The. Flapping.
Silvan responds:

Frank Beamer has a lot to answer for (for non-Virginia Tech devotees, Beamer is the extremely successful coach at VT, who has in 17 years taken the Tech football team from state also-ran [amongst 2 lousy teams...actually, 3 but the Spinders were and are not good today, while UVa varies] to national powerhouse, thus creating an immense new system of roads around Blacksburg, including I81 extensions and lots of rebuilding of the old route 460, just to handle game day traffic for about 8 home games a year).
Charlie Self
"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico

This is why I either leave town, or make a major point of staying home during home games. Leaving town is better, because then I don't hear the all night parties after the game.

<snip>
I like the new roads. I can get over to the Lowe's and Home Depot much easier now. There is also now a new restaurant called Beamer's. We went out with some friends a few weeks ago and they insisted on trying it, even though I thought patronizing the place was just encouraging him. I have to say it was a very nice place and had pretty good food, not just a sports bar.
Today is another home game, and I'm hunkered down for the duration . . .
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

Leaving town is usually the option I take. Staying home does me no good, since all the flapping is happening outside my bedroom window. I especially hate it when they have late night games, and they had some *late* games last year.

Yeah, that about sums it up. It also makes it a hell of a lot more tolerable when the students are coming in or leaving.

I liked'em better before they were open. I put a couple hundred miles on my bike last year. It was fun riding smack down the middle of a four-lane highway at 45 mph on a bicycle without any fear greater than wondering how long the bearings could stand going that fast, or what would happen if I hit a rock at that speed.
Now, of course, to try *that* trick would mean a quick death.

Getting to the Despot is irritating. The people who designed that shopping center smoked way too much dope. It's like a roach motel. You can get in easily, but you'll sit there 30 minutes trying to get back out.
Getting to Lowe's is about the same as it always was for me. I have to drive out to Lowe's to get *on* the bypass. The new road does save me a few stoplights getting to work though.

SWMBO and I went to some hoakie Hokie sports bar on our anniversary. I felt dirty, but it was the only reasonably exotic eatery that night that didn't have a two-hour wait for a table. It sure is amazing how big the restaurant business is around here. Those NoVA kids really know how to stick it to their parents. :)
Did Tech get slaughtered? I hope, I hope, I hope... Maybe if their team starts to suck again, we can keep the roads but we'll lose all these flapping flags. <glee>
BTW, Bill, do you have any clever supply of wood up your sleeve? I haven't ever actually talked to other woodworkers in the area, and I have no idea is there's some place over the hill that I've just never heard of.
I'm thinking if I want to get ahold of some good hardwoods my best bet is going to be to bum Dad's van and make the trip down to Mayodan, or maybe some place out Charlie's way.
Silvan writes:

Never thought to compare it to a roach motel, but the one in Roanoke is similar. Out is very difficult. In is very easy.

My SIL (UVa grad who hates Tech) says the first 7 Tech games are essentially tune-ups or gimmees. They beat James Madison yesterday, 43-zip JMU has NO business on the same field as tech.

Take your car and cruise the back roads of Bedford County...also Franklin, etc. Bedford has at least 10 small sawmills within its 750+ square miles. Buy green. Sticker while stacking. Cover. Use in a year.
Charlie Self
"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico
Charlie Self wrote:

Maybe it's a Home Despot thing. They design'em that way on purpose.

I just hope they get slaughtered by their nemsis, whoever their nemesis is. I try to stay out of it, though it's getting harder. I saw a picture of someone with a VT flag hanging out his window in the Czech Republic at some point. Yeesh.

So there _are_ places lurking out there which just haven't entered the information age yet. That's encouraging. I guess that's why it would be good to talk to more real people and fewer electrons once in awhile. :)
Silvan wondered:

I'll try to field this one.
Your best bet is Plywood & Plastics in Roanoke (540-344-2079 ~ 800-948-7156). They have a good selection, great prices, but only sell in full boards (about 10' or so).
For a quick fix, wander over to Reed's Lumber in C-burg. They don't have the selection or good prices, but will cut down a board to suit your needs and are a whole lot closer.
George, who moved from West Virginia to come to B-Burg to enjoy the football traffic. Must move soon... Very soon...

Let me second the recommendation of Heavener Hardware for hardware stuff. They will have the most obscure stuff some times. I had an old kitchen stove once that needed a new switch for the fluorescent light, you know the type where you have to hold the switch in till the light starts then release it, and Heavener had them in a pull out bin . . . several different styles. I've also found that they are cheaper for pressure treated lumber than Lowe's or Home Depot. The only time I don't go there first is on Sunday when they aren't open. I would not buy their hardwood. Not enough selection and too high priced, but tools, bits, blades, screws, and other hardware it's the place to go.

It gets better after football season is over.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Not sure if you are remembering the old location on Draper Rd., which is where they were about 25 years ago, or Kabrich St. which is where they are now. Both locations have had old houses disappear. The old location on Draper is now the Blacksburg Public Library. They've been on Kabrich St. for at least 15 years now (I don't remember exactly when they moved). Anyway, they are expanding, onto the lot where the old house next door was torn down. They also recently opened a new store in Dublin.
From Christiansburg take the 460 bypass to the Price's Fork Rd. exit (first one toward B'burg) and go to where Price's Fork Rd. ends at Main St. Turn left, and then the first left on Main St. onto Kabrich St. and you will be facing Heavener's parking lot and building.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

Hmmm... Maybe I somehow missed it. Billy? Bobby? I used to know the guy who lived in the house that wasn't there anymore. The really nasty looking white house next door to that is where my great grandfather and my great aunt lived for most of their lives. I didn't look like that 20 years ago, I assure you.

Yeah, OK, it's the same place. I guess I just wasn't looking for it the last time I was down that way. We had gone to Blacksburg for something or other, and I was taking SWMBO through my old haunts, but I was probably more focused on my aunt's neighbor's house being gone than the fact that it had become associated with Heavener's...