What kinds of plywood do you usually use ? What end use do you use plywood for ?

Now I'm conducting a market research for plywood . Could you please advise me "what kinds of plywood you usually use and for what end use do you use the plywood" ? Could you please specify as detail as the following: Plywood, Grade of plywood :______ Species of face/back veneers: ______ (such as birch, maple, Oak, pine, poplar,red hardwood(in cluding Okoume), etc.) Species of core: _____ (Poplar, birch, tropical hardwood,etc.) Glue:______ (MR,Melamine,Phenolic, E1 glue) End use: ________ (funiture making, building(underlayment, subfloor , roof , wall borad) , packing ) (If you don't know it, leave it blank)
Thank you very much! Mason Pan http://www.plywood.cc /

I like the flat kind. I use it to make things with.

As required.

To match.

etc.
I usually use PVA glue, but model glue is better for sniffing.

Yes.
OK

PVC pipe glue is the best.
I prefer the laminated type

I use the multi-ply type.
Lee wrote:

Mason Pan wrote:
I use plywood for building things. I prefer the flat kind with waterproof glue and with a good solid center.

I am late on this quiz. Maybe 10 years ago I got a sheet of 3/4" or so plywood from BORG. I think it had a maple face. It had many plies, I mean it was not 5 ply CDX but a higher number. It stunk when it was cut. Not a pleasant smell but it did not smell like pig squeeze. It was pretty heavy but not as heavy as mdf. Now I cannot remember what I bought it for. Last project was a small subwoofer for the car.
I did buy some oak face plywood. It was supposed to 1/4" or so but measures 11/64. The 3/4 plywood was 45/64". I would like plywood to be close to dimension. But that was not a question.
Thank you for all your feedbacks .
When you using plywood, have you paid some attention to the glue and core of the plywood ? What glue and core are they ?
Mason Pan http://www.plywood.cc /
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:48:27 -0000, Mason Pan

Since I do not have a plywood plant in my backyard I have no way to influence the glue used. If you know anything about plywood you know most roof and decking plywood is spec 'ed with exterior glue. What that glue is who knows. For interior plywood much plywood is made 10,000 miles away. I would expect that there is lead, human bones, spit and other goo in the glue as many Asian manufacturers seem to want to dispose of hazardous materials to US consumers.
When I use CDX or BCX for projects I expect Southern Yellow pine as the surface and core. I do not want mystery wood or mystery glue. I want something that is "safe" for me and my livestock. I also do not want voids in the core whether I am using the plywood for furniture or for construction.
If you ask the same question of wholesale customers who can ask for certain glues and cores then you may get a different answer. End consumers often have little to no choice in the matter as they are at the mercy of the local wholesale/retail store.
I have seen fire ret ardent plywood fail on TV and in the neighborhood. Failure is defined as people falling through roofs as the plywood delaminated. I would suspect that if the plywood was at the failure point where walking on it would let someone fall through then it was a greater fire hazard than plywood that had not suffered a glue failure.
On Sep 10, 7:17 pm, Jim Behning

I think that usually end users want to pay for high priced and high quality plywood . Is this right ?
Mason Pan wrote:
| I think that usually end users want to pay for high priced and high | quality plywood . | Is this right ?
No. This end user wants to pay LOW price for high quality plywood. :-)

Ideally, you'd pay ME to take your high-quality plywood. ;-)
Puckdropper

It would be nice to have a choice of high quality at a fair price and medium quality at a lesser price. When I go to the lumber yard I have one grade of furniture plywood. I have a few choices for constuction plywood. None of the plywood is valued priced as it was 10-12 years ago.