What kind of wood to use?

Page 2 of 2
Steve:
Not taken as a slam. You got the picture clearly. I appreciate your advice.
I began by wanting to build a piece of sewing furniture (sold in the market for about $2K). Then I figured the need for a workbench in order to do this safely and comfortably. Doing the workbench was so enjoyable that it looks like I found myself a hobby. Everywhere I look now I look to see how the furniture was built. In my house I see so much potential: a window seat, a cd storage cabinet, storage for the garage, bookcases, and on and on. It looks like I've caught a bug! Moe

was
finishing
be
counts

market
this
Good job. You are learning well from the wreck.

Stop. right there! That one. that's your next project... the garage storage..... That gives you another place to develop some more skills where there is a little more wiggle room for "oopses".

That's a good one too.

Moe,
My gut says that the sewing cabinet may be a bit too ambitious. I say that because I want you to succeed. I would rather see you encouraged by small successes, than frustrated by biting off a little more than you are ready for. I always try to do something new on each project: a new finish, use a new tool, or a construction technique. Build up to it.
Then again I could be completely wrong. You could churn our a masterpiece.
Have fun, make dust.
-Steve
Looks like I'm in lockstep with Steve on starting with small crawls then small steps prior to big leaps. My first task was for a shelf with plate rail, oh curved ends and supports, and oh rounded over edges. Each new project entailed something new and I found that was an excellent way for ME to learn and expand. Suggest JMOE that you look for Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking books 1&2 bound together. Libray might have it and if not about $30.00 USD. I found after making the first one the second and following went quicker, easier and better. Protect hearing around universal motors!
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:15:44 -0400, "Stephen M"

As others have said, plywood is probably your best choice for something like that. Face the edges with strips of solid wood of the same or similar species (e.g. if you use oak ply, use oak for the edging, if you use birch or something similarly light colored ("blondewood" or "appleply") use maple or poplar). You may find oak tricky to get a good grain pattern on the edging.
John
Thanks to everyone.

wood
one