what kind of wood is this?

I've been calling it rosewood... but really I have no idea, only that it is *very* hard (compared, for example, to a girls hip), a bit interwoven in the grain (here and there), and the spokeshave chips look like this:

(sorry the image is a little big...)

Any ideas?

I also don't think the blade was as sharp as it could be (I'm new at this...) or is that chattering (which I don't remember feeling) something unavoidable?

Reply to
Enoch Root

Looks to me like lacewood. Do a Google image search for lacewood and compare. Rick

Reply to
RampRat

Hi Rick,

Thanks... I looked around and I don't think that's what it is. The strip is about 7/8" wide if that's any help.

The wood has a very open grain, and the pale ares are, near as I can determine, pores of much softer wood.

The wood is much darker than what google's showing me of lacewood.

I guess a shaving isn't a very good way to show the wood. Maybe this is better:

that: it probably looks more like what your eyes see if you have the zoom on the picture set to about 33%. It's dark, it doesn't seem stripey or dotted if you just look at it... unless you look close. :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

is it heavy, resinous and dulls the tools rapidly? might be apatong or something in that family.

Reply to
bridger

Hard to tell...but could it be padouk?

Reply to
Robatoy

It's not resinous... I think. I mean, it doesn't have an oily feeling...

It's hard enough to be considered hard on tools, though. I could see a thin white line on the tip of my blade after maybe 1/2 hour of straight shaving or so.

But no pitch or oil if I'm looking at it right.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Seems not smooth enough? I think it might be harder, too (although, never having cut padouk...)

It also doesn't have orange colors... more like a walnut. I posted a second picture a bit upthread...

It's very rigid, not bending very much at all when I torque a ~1/2" piece between my hands.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

if it was padouk it would have been immediately obvious the first time you touched it with sandpaper.

the orange color is intense. even a small amount of fine sawdust will stain whatever it touches bright red.

Reply to
bridger

Enoch Root" schreef >

*** Definitely nowhere near apitong. Surely not a rosewood or padouk. But it is almost surely one of the Legumes.

PvR

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel