what kind of wood is this?

I've been calling it rosewood... but really I have no idea, only that it is *very* hard (compared, for example, to a girls hip), a bit interwoven in the grain (here and there), and the spokeshave chips look like this:
http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cwc-close.jpg (sorry the image is a little big...)
Any ideas?
I also don't think the blade was as sharp as it could be (I'm new at this...) or is that chattering (which I don't remember feeling) something unavoidable?
--
er

Looks to me like lacewood. Do a Google image search for lacewood and compare. Rick
RampRat wrote:

Hi Rick,
Thanks... I looked around and I don't think that's what it is. The strip is about 7/8" wide if that's any help.
The wood has a very open grain, and the pale ares are, near as I can determine, pores of much softer wood.
The wood is much darker than what google's showing me of lacewood.
I guess a shaving isn't a very good way to show the wood. Maybe this is better:
http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/20051103/cw-close.jpg
Even that: it probably looks more like what your eyes see if you have the zoom on the picture set to about 33%. It's dark, it doesn't seem stripey or dotted if you just look at it... unless you look close. :)
er
--
I call it rosewood in polite company--I call it chairwood when I'm alone.

is it heavy, resinous and dulls the tools rapidly? might be apatong or something in that family.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

It's not resinous... I think. I mean, it doesn't have an oily feeling...
It's hard enough to be considered hard on tools, though. I could see a thin white line on the tip of my blade after maybe 1/2 hour of straight shaving or so.
But no pitch or oil if I'm looking at it right.
er

*** Definitely nowhere near apitong. Surely not a rosewood or padouk. But it is almost surely one of the Legumes.
PvR

Hard to tell...but could it be padouk?
Robatoy wrote:

Seems not smooth enough? I think it might be harder, too (although, never having cut padouk...)
It also doesn't have orange colors... more like a walnut. I posted a second picture a bit upthread...
It's very rigid, not bending very much at all when I torque a ~1/2" piece between my hands.
er

if it was padouk it would have been immediately obvious the first time you touched it with sandpaper.
the orange color is intense. even a small amount of fine sawdust will stain whatever it touches bright red.