What kind of wood is this?

Same piece of wood, different lighting. Very dry, very light in weight. The piece 17" x 5.75" x 1.5" weighs just over 3 pounds. Moderately soft-- a 1/32" steel nail-set dropped from about a foot, penetrates about 1/8".
http://www.mikedrums.com/whatwood1.jpg
http://www.mikedrums.com/whatwood2.jpg
http://www.mikedrums.com/whatwood3.jpg
Cedar?
--

-MIKE-

Identifying different species of softwood whith certainty involves intricate work with a microscope but the close rings, straight grain and lightness would suggest a cedar.
Tim W

It does not have that distinctive "hamster cage" scent to it when cut. Not much scent... if anything, slightly chocolaty.
--

-MIKE-

It might be cypress, but looks more like some kind of pine to me.
--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

Or maybe some sort of fir. The dark streaks in the edge grain (assuming it is not stained or finished in any way) looks pretty dark for any cedar I've seen.
Ed

It is raw. This first pic is more indicative of the color, without consumer camera influence. The contrast between light and dark rings is accurate, however.
--

-MIKE-

I doubt it: grain doesn't look right for cedar. My first thought, just looking at it, was redwood, but 3 pounds is *much* too heavy for a piece that size to be either redwood or cedar. I'd vote for Douglas fir.
Doug Miller wrote:

I thought Fir a while ago, but all the fir I've seen is more orange. It certainly has the same weight as the Doug Fir I've worked with.
--

-MIKE-

Mike, it looks very similar to some catalpa that i have:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjdankert/3038411674 /
It is soft and light weight. It also has a distinct smell when I cut it. I can't think of how to describe the smell - it's pleasant (to me) like a scented candle.
Bob
rjdankert wrote:

I was going to say the same thing. I have a piece of bone-dry Catalpa right here that is 16" x 8" x 1-1/8" and it weighs 2lbs 7oz. It's very light, and it looks exactly like what's in Mike's pictures.
Steve Turner wrote:

What are you doing in here? :-p
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Hey Mike, I see you found my old home. :-) It's a fun place to hang out, and I wander in here every once in a while, but about 5 years ago it started moving so dang fast I stopped trying to keep up. That and a major infestation of trolls. Looks like most of the same crowd is still here though; glad to see it.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

Crazy thing is, we had a decent cymbal discussion going in another thread.
I lurked and posted here, a while back. Thought I'd come back since our other place is about 2 blips from flat-lining.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I saw the cymbal discussion - pretty cool. :-) Maybe some of the local drummer galoots would enjoy moonlighting over at rmmp; some new faces might help bring the old timers out of their rut.
Steve Turner wrote:

Just start a Steve Smith thread. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:57:13 +0000, Steve Turner wrote

I'm so far down in my rut it's turned into a cool groove. I was big on rmmp about 15 years ago but hardly glanced at it this millennium.
I need to get over to the Dolbear site as well. Lot of friends there (some quite local) but I found I was spending about 3 hours a day on the damn thing, so I took a long holiday to break the addiction.
That an' the weightlifting group.. an' alt.fetish.catholic.schoolgirls.snorkels.custard............
Oops.. maybe too much information.
:-)