What kind of wood?

What have I got here?
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Islandtop.jpg
Middle piece looks maple-ish, the others a bit like beech. Could be birch?
Opinions please?
Thankee.

Beech. The center strip is quarter-sawn, showing off some lovely ray flecks. Make yourself some planes or shaves if it's heavy enough and all dead-on plane or quarter sawn.
"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message

Based on my limited experience with beech, my guess is that you may not be far off ... although the majority looks "rift" rather than "plain" sawn.
I could well be wrong on all counts, due to this new monitor ... plus being color blind.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Concur. I've had several beautiful pieces of QS beech sitting in the stacks for about five years now. I'm waiting for them to tell me what they want me to make them into.
--
Regards,
No doubt about it. It is without a doubt wood derived from a tree. lol Feel free to send me all you have as I will find some use for it.

Fact - beech.
Old floor? Beech went out of favor quite a while ago. Doesn't behave well in changing humidity. Europeans like theirs, but ours isn't quite as uniform in color or pleasant of disposition.
I'm centered up in a mess of hardwood, and the local flooring mills don't even put beech on their list, though it's abundant.

It's a butcherblock countertop. 1-1/2" thick. The house is from 1832 and the current owners are trying to restore as much as possible and had me replace all the counters with Quartz. The island needs a lot of repairs, but the option is mine to also replace it with quartz. If beech doesn't behave well in moisture changing conditions, then that explains why the island is the mess it is in. The house is right on the St.Clair River (outflow from Lake Huron) so we know a thing or two about changing humidity. Nothing like my southern neighbours, I'm sure :-)
Tip-O-Hat to all that responded, 'tis been a lot of help.