What kind of square or set-up blocks to get

Those who have read my occasional posts here may have a fair estimate of my skill level by now. For those that don't, I've clawed my way up to "weekend handyman".

I have noticed that my miter saw is probably not quite square, especially vertically. I also have access to an older table saw which similarly could use some adjustment. So what tool should I use? An engineer's square? Set-up blocks? Some sort of gauge? Any recommendations for something of reasonable cost that is commensurate with my level of skill and time constraints?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

google "howto setup tablesaw" and "howto setup mitresaw". Tons of good stuff.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

An engineers square, or combo square would do the trick.

Reply to
tiredofspam

An engineers square is an invaluable tool for any woodworker. A set of 3 can be had at a decent price. The specs aren't as important as you'd think. For woodworking, it's either square or it's not. I'm not concerned with +/-.003 per length vs. +/-.001 per length. That's not even half the width of a scribe line.

For precision set-up of a table saw a miter slot jib made with a cheap machinist's dial indicator is needed to really fine tune everything on the saw. But you really only need to do it one time, then again any time you go move it or bang it around some how. The dial indicator jig is nice to keep around for double checking the fence every few months.

Reply to
-MIKE-

----------------------------------- Your miter gage and a piece of stock, say 2-1/2" x 12" x 3/4".

Cross cut the stock, then flip waste piece over and push the cut surfaces together and miter gage face.

If no gap, blade is vertical.

If gap appears, adjust blade and repeat with another piece of stock.

May take 3-4 cuts to get there.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

An engineer's square or 123 blocks are your best bet for the miter saw. Build a dial indicator jig for the tablesaur. (see YouTube)

and a dozen others.

-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Also on youtube- search for "wood whisperer table saw". He has a two part series on Table saw Setup/Tuneup (#55 & 56). There's also one - "American Woodworker editor Tom Caspar shows how to properly square a tablesaw blade"

Reply to
Joe