What kind of saw to use?

When I had to cut the legs shorter on my table, I bought a table saw. Now that the table is shorter, I need to cut the legs shorter on my chairs. No one sells a chair saw. What should I buy for this?

Reply to
professionalputz

For a professional putz, this troll sounds amateurish. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Buy some pot man....... Then you won't care......

Reply to
MakaNui

Sat, Jan 7, 2006, 10:09am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@mahalo.charter.net (jo4hn) did scribeth: For a professional putz, this troll sounds amateurish. =A0 =A0 =A0 j4

True. But, on the off chance he is serious, all he needs to do is just cut out the center of the chair seats, so he will sit lower No problem trying to get the legs even to prevent wobbling that way too.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

For the rear legs, you use a back saw.

For the front legs, you can't do it with a saw. it requires a fore plane.

Next question?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Did you say you're a TROLL? Shame on you. I hope your mother and your 1st grade teacher knows about this !!!

Reply to
professionalputz

Fore plane is what my first wife insisted on having too much of before we got down to brass tacks. oooooo, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

With a bigger hammer that wouldn't be necessary.

Reply to
Swingman

Here's what I'd do. No special tools needed; it's about the technique...

You'll need...

a flat surface that can accommodate all legs of the chair(s), a pencil clamps fine tooth hand saw such as a dovetail saw mirror workbench sandpaper

Procedure... Place the chair on a flat surface. With a sharp pencil kept against the flat surface trace around each leg. You may need a "riser" for the pencil unless you just want to lower the chair 1/8". Position and clamp the chair to the workbench. Use the mirror to monitor your cut on the opposite side of the leg, else you will be bobbing your head to see the cut. Chamfer the end of each leg with a file or sandpaper. Easy.

Reply to
Phisherman

You don't have to cut the chair legs. You only have to cut the back. For that all you'll need is a back saw ;-)

Reply to
Joe Barta

Something about can't see the forest for the trees comes to mind.

Reply to
Joe Barta

The Robert Bonomi entity posted thusly:

I tried using fore plane, but every time I do, the wife won't let me out of the house for a while.

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming in terror, like his passengers.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Reply to
Jim K

| For the rear legs, you use a back saw. | | For the front legs, you can't do it with a saw. it requires a fore | plane.

More economical to use a buck saw.

Morris Dovey

Yabbut does she have big hooters?

Tom in KY, foreplane is not so bad if you have plenty to do :-D

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Buy a cordless drill. Reattach the cut-offs to the table. Buy yourself some platform shoes and a booster-seat so you can see what's on the table.

Tom in KY, I know short people when I see 'em.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

No saw needed. Simply take the chairs outside and put them on your driveway. Take two bags of concrete and stack them on the chair seats and drag them up and down the driveway until they are the desired height.

Alternately, you can chew the legs off while watching TV. Make sure you mark your chew line though, so you will know when to stop.

You can't just run out a buy a tool every time you have a new project.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

You'd have to speak to the Chairman in charge.

Reply to
Frank Arthur

[snip]

. . . and I just bought a drum sander, so if anyone has any percussion instruments they want smoothed --

Reply to
JimR

that's easy, a Samurai sword!! with practice you can the legs even

Reply to
leonard