What kind of saw to use?

Page 1 of 2

When I had to cut the legs shorter on my table, I bought a table saw. Now that the table is shorter, I need to cut the legs shorter on my chairs. No one sells a chair saw. What should I buy for this?
snipped-for-privacy@homereepairee.com wrote:

    j4
Sat, Jan 7, 2006, 10:09am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@mahalo.charter.net (jo4hn) did scribeth: For a professional putz, this troll sounds amateurish. j4
True. But, on the off chance he is serious, all he needs to do is just cut out the center of the chair seats, so he will sit lower No problem trying to get the legs even to prevent wobbling that way too.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax

Did you say you're a TROLL? Shame on you. I hope your mother and your 1st grade teacher knows about this !!!
<<I need to cut the legs shorter on my chairs. No one sells a chair saw. What should I buy for this? >>
No saw needed. Simply take the chairs outside and put them on your driveway. Take two bags of concrete and stack them on the chair seats and drag them up and down the driveway until they are the desired height.
Alternately, you can chew the legs off while watching TV. Make sure you mark your chew line though, so you will know when to stop.
You can't just run out a buy a tool every time you have a new project.
Robert

Buy some pot man....... Then you won't care......

For the rear legs, you use a back saw.
For the front legs, you can't do it with a saw. it requires a fore plane.
Next question?
Robert Bonomi wrote:

we got down to brass tacks.     oooooo,     j4
"jo4hn" wrote in message

With a bigger hammer that wouldn't be necessary.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

Yabbut does she have big hooters?
Tom in KY, foreplane is not so bad if you have plenty to do :-D
The Robert Bonomi entity posted thusly:

I tried using fore plane, but every time I do, the wife won't let me out of the house for a while.
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming in terror, like his passengers.
Robert Bonomi (in snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com) said:
| For the rear legs, you use a back saw. | | For the front legs, you can't do it with a saw. it requires a fore | plane.
More economical to use a buck saw.
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:35:51 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@homereepairee.com wrote:

Here's what I'd do. No special tools needed; it's about the technique...
You'll need...
a flat surface that can accommodate all legs of the chair(s), a pencil clamps fine tooth hand saw such as a dovetail saw mirror workbench sandpaper
Procedure... Place the chair on a flat surface. With a sharp pencil kept against the flat surface trace around each leg. You may need a "riser" for the pencil unless you just want to lower the chair 1/8". Position and clamp the chair to the workbench. Use the mirror to monitor your cut on the opposite side of the leg, else you will be bobbing your head to see the cut. Chamfer the end of each leg with a file or sandpaper. Easy.
Phisherman wrote:

Something about can't see the forest for the trees comes to mind.

. . . and I just bought a drum sander, so if anyone has any percussion instruments they want smoothed --

You don't have to cut the chair legs. You only have to cut the back. For that all you'll need is a back saw ;-)
A big band sits on chairs when they play - why not use a big band saw?
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:35:51 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@homereepairee.com wrote:

Buy a cordless drill. Reattach the cut-offs to the table. Buy yourself some platform shoes and a booster-seat so you can see what's on the table.
Tom in KY, I know short people when I see 'em.
You'd have to speak to the Chairman in charge.

that's easy, a Samurai sword!! with practice you can the legs even