What kind of outside treament can I put on a birdhouse?

I am building a birdhouse and the book is unclear as to what kind of chemicals I can use on the outside of the house. Can I use a stain followed by a polyurethane coating on the outside (no chemicals on the inside). Thank you.

http://www.bcpl.net/~tross/by/house.html
Best choice is no finish or a latex paint if the birdhouse is really meant for birds.
jm wrote:

Hi Jim,
Depends on wood..On my Western Red Cedar houses, I use clear poly On my Eastern Red Cedar House, I use Helman's Spar Varnish. For Ash, Maple or etc.For other woods, I try and use a color that will attract the birds I wish to have pooping on my lawn chairs and deck...*laughing*
jm wrote:

You can use exterior house paint for the exterior. Leave the inside untreated. Allow the paint to cure for at least a month.