What Kind of Finish do I have?

I'm trying to restore the finish on my old bed for my son. It is a solid maple bed with 1947 printed on the back from the factory.
I've tried both denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner, and they both dissolve the finish. Could it be tinted wax? I can see a couple runs in one place. Do you get that from wax? Could a wax finish have held up that well for 50 years? The finish is in good condition except for a few scratches and some worn spots on the corners.
Thanks, Steve
Are you sure they are dissolving the finish and not just cleaning it really well? 60 years is a lot of dirt :)
FriscoSoxFan wrote:

It's just a dull stained wood that is left.
I looked at the can of lacquer thinner. It is from Klean-Strip. It says it contains Methanol. Will that dissolve Shellac? I just went to their web site, and found this page:
http://www.kleanstrip.com/knowsolvents.htm
They say this, "lacquer thinner is so strong that it quickly dissolves both shellac and lacquer finishes."
Everything else I've read says lacquer thinner won't touch shellac.
Steve
50 Years ago, it was most likely a lacquer finish but it might have been a shellac. Both were common.
Dave

If alcohol really disolves it, then it is shellac. In an inconspicious spot try cleaning it well with a little vinegar in warm water, then rough it up with some 220 and try laying down some new Shellac.