what kind of finish?

I have a real problem this time! SWMBO asked me to make a narrow table out of a mahogany leaf for an old dining table, It was to be done in a shabby chic distressed white paint finish.
So I mixed and matched the wopod without care to grain, etc. I now have a mahogany top with pine sides, birch spindle legs and a fir plkywood shelf. No problem as it will all be painted white anyway.
aha! SWMBO decides that it should all be a reddish brown ( mahogany ) color.
I don't want to use just plain reddish brown paint if i can help it. Aren't there some opaque stains that would take on the different kinds of wood and present a somewhat uniform appearance?
As a last resort, I could paint it brown but sure would like some suggestions.\
BTW, disagreeing with SWMBO is not a valid suggestion.
thanx,
Vic
--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Vic,
Mix artist's oil paints with oil based stains. Starting with thin coats and then adjust the amount of oil paint needed according to what each wood needs. When they're all close, mix a reddish brown and thin it to make a toner to put over the entire piece.
Stewart