What Jointer?

I'm thinking of getting an 8" jointer, I want one with QC knives. I don't see many out there with that option. The only one I saw with QC was the 6" Powermatic 54A. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?

I think Powermatic has great quality control. How come you only want quality control on the knives and not the whole jointer?
QC=Quick Change
I have a lot of Powermatic stuff & I like it. I'm just curious what my options are. If Ridgid had a jointer with quick change knives, I'd be a bit wary of it etc.

I've got the 54A and can definitely vouch for the quality and precision of Powermatic. I would have went for the 8" version except the tool had to be carried down a basement staircase with a jog in it. (having a 6" forced me to acquire handplane skills for the few times I needed to flatten a wider board, which is a good thing) I haven't had to change knives yet so I can't speak about the QC feature. Whatever you get make sure it's a long bed.
If you are willing to pay a preminum for quick-change, Why not consider the one of the spiral models models with the 4-sided carbide cutters that you rotate for a fresh edge. This is arguably a better solution to problem that quick-change cutters solve.
For example:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0593

Well I looked at the Grizzly & ordered it. Thanks for all the help.
Chris

Awhile back I was investigating Grizzly's jointers, but didn't wind up buying one because I came across a good deal on a used jointer through my local Craigslist. I just checked Grizzly's site and their 8" models G0586[1] and G0490[2] both have the add-on option of the "Dispoz-A-Blade"[3][4] system.
I have no idea if either of these jointers or their quick change blades are any good. Just passing this on as an option you may want to investigate.
[1]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0586 [2]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490 [3]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5142 [4]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H9154

remove ".invalid".
Chris wrote:

I love my DJ-20, but sorry, no QC knives. I've also seen some bigger, parallelogram Grizz machines locally that were well liked.
I find that a $30 magnetic dial indicator makes knife changes a simple 10 minute process. Smoothing the retainer bolt heads with a file removes lots of frustration.
Just put the knife in with the jib screws lowered, lightly snug the retainers, raise each end of the knife to a measured distance (from the cutterhead, not the table), and tighten the retainers. Do the same, using the same measurement, for the other two knives. If you check measurement before removing the old knives, you may not even have to touch the outfeed table. It takes more time to get out and put away the tools than to do it, seriously!
Now if I could find a spiral cutterhead on the road shoulder... <G>

Hey Barry, Do you recall where you got your magnetic dial indicator. I've got a DJ20 and looking for something that has been proven to work well. Maybe not the best but it's a very fine jointer.
Phisherman wrote:

My indicator is a plain 'ol Asian import, with a switch on/off magnetic base with arms.
Lee Valley, Highland, Woodcraft, Northern, and probably Harbor Freight all sell them.
I have owned a 54A for about three years and love it.
RonB