What is your favorite wood?

Page 2 of 2
Leon responds:

Good choices. I also like cherry for its beauty, osage orange for its color, mesquite for its variety, poplar for its ease of working, locust for its general utility and its surprise, QS sycamore for both beauty and workability, cedar (red) for its aroma...and others for other reasons.
Charlie Self "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken
On 10 Nov 2004 16:06:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

Walnut and mahogany work well with hand tools and smell GREAT. I love this jarrah, too, but the red dust is driving me nuts.

Mencken's thoughts have been entirely taken to heart by THIS admin, wot?
------------------------------------------------------------- * * Humorous T-shirts Online * Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design * * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques responds:

Truly.
"In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken

Mesquite. It's hard as hell and somewhat hard on tools but finishes very nice. And the scraps make excellent fuel for dutch oven cooking.
Fred
Cherry. Works easily, polishes a treat, even smells good when you're working it.
Oh yes, does a nice Lake Superior salmon in the smoker, too,

Pussy Willow. SH

Maple Mahogany Walnut Oak Purpleheart Birch Cherry
Oh heck, I like 'em all!
Dave

scribbled:

I hate purpleheart. Harder than stone, dulls your tools quickly, splinters more than red oak or doug fir, splinters in your hands fester worse than red cedar. But the colour sure is purty, according to the LOML.

That strikes me as an odd question. My favorite wood tends to be the wood that fits a particular project (unless it is on the short list of woods I hate to work). When the wood fits the project the result will be pleasing in it's own way. When the wood competes with the design aspect both end up losing.
hex -30-
Wed, Nov 10, 2004, 4:55am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (max) asks?: <snip> Which woods are your favorite to work with. <snip> No brainer. Free wood.
So far, this includes: Holly, dogwood, hickory, oak, poplar, pine, Spanish cedar, Philippine mahogany, teak, and a number of others I'm not sure of. This doesn't include plywood, which I have gotten free at times, but usually buy.
JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?
I am fond of PINE because it is so plentiful up here in Canada. But, I would really like to get my hands on some straight grained fir (as mentioned previously) Stunning wood!!
Anything free. In my case, all the wood sitting in piles in my yard - probably 15,000 board feet of it.
Jon E

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote:

I agree. What was your address again Jon? ;-)

It would be free to Jack, but I believe Jon has a fair amount of sweat and capital invested in that pile.
If not, then maybe he SHOULD freely share with each of us!
Patriarch
Howdy!

Cherry. It works nicely and it is nice to look at.
Ash and maple are nice too, but my favorite to *work* with is cherry.
yours, Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix

There are few things (if any) in the woodshop that smell as good as cutting walnut. It's a sweet, smoky, woody smell that is very distinctive.
But for woods to "work with", I prefer red oak. I build (or try to build...) a lot of mission-style stuff, and I'm a traditionalist...of course if I was a strict traditionalist I'd go with quarter sawn, but I'll save that for when my skills have improved.
Jim
Cherry. I love the way it turns to glass even BEFORE I put the finish on. And after that, it keeps getting better and better.
- Owen -