What is your favorite wood?

I am fond of PINE because it is so plentiful up here in Canada. But, I would really like to get my hands on some straight grained fir (as mentioned previously) Stunning wood!!

Reply to
brandt

Mesquite. It's hard as hell and somewhat hard on tools but finishes very nice. And the scraps make excellent fuel for dutch oven cooking.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Miner

Anything free. In my case, all the wood sitting in piles in my yard - probably 15,000 board feet of it.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

I agree. What was your address again Jon? ;-)

Nova

On 10 Nov 2004 16:06:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

Walnut and mahogany work well with hand tools and smell GREAT. I love this jarrah, too, but the red dust is driving me nuts.

Mencken's thoughts have been entirely taken to heart by THIS admin, wot?

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Nova wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net:

It would be free to Jack, but I believe Jon has a fair amount of sweat and capital invested in that pile.

If not, then maybe he SHOULD freely share with each of us!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:39:18 -0800, "TeamCasa" scribbled:

I hate purpleheart. Harder than stone, dulls your tools quickly, splinters more than red oak or doug fir, splinters in your hands fester worse than red cedar. But the colour sure is purty, according to the LOML.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Larry Jaques responds:

Truly.

"In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Cherry. Works easily, polishes a treat, even smells good when you're working it.

Oh yes, does a nice Lake Superior salmon in the smoker, too,

Reply to
George

Hard telling from that picture, though I sure like the curves in that design. Here is a nice link showing the difference between the two woods.

have some stunning pictures of my own I will post in a day or so showing honey locust.

Reply to
todd the wood junkie

Cherry. It works nicely and it is nice to look at.

Ash and maple are nice too, but my favorite to *work* with is cherry.

yours, Michael

Reply to
Michael Houghton

There are few things (if any) in the woodshop that smell as good as cutting walnut. It's a sweet, smoky, woody smell that is very distinctive.

But for woods to "work with", I prefer red oak. I build (or try to build...) a lot of mission-style stuff, and I'm a traditionalist...of course if I was a strict traditionalist I'd go with quarter sawn, but I'll save that for when my skills have improved.

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

Here are some pictures of honey locust in my shop. I am making a jewelry box, and several pictures show the mosiac top, framed with a wild grained honey locust. Other pictures demonstrate the beautiful figure and color of this wood.

todd the wood junkie

Here are some pictures of honey locust in my shop. I am making a jewelry box, and several pictures show the mosiac top, framed with a wild grained honey locust. Other pictures demonstrate the beautiful figure and color of this wood.

todd the wood junkie

Cherry. I love the way it turns to glass even BEFORE I put the finish on. And after that, it keeps getting better and better.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

I even love the way it smells. Cherry, for me, # 1 by far. Stability, finishability, machinability second to none. Many will agree and disagree. And THAT is exactly the reason God gave us so many different trees to choose from.

Rob

Reply to
Sandman