What is your approach to woodworking?

Page 4 of 4
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:17:12 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"

Have you ever told your missus that her taste is all in her mouth? No, I didn't think so. Butcha thought it, right? ;)

Right. Real men don't use plans. I sketch things up and build them something like it as I go.

But we wouldn't like to.

Pineywood Pukey Ducks do it for ya, do they? OK.

For the future jarrah furniture I plan on building, I'll likely use a story stick.
-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

We even used to use them in place of plaster ducks on the wall in the 60's, although they're a bit hard to nail to the wall because the buggers struggle so much.
diggerop
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:16:49 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"

OK, Pineywood Pukey Emus. The bird with the single digit IQ. [Comparison of Aussies to Emus deleted out of compassion.]

That's half the fun, wot?
-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Heh. That's OK, mate.
Reliable research has established that after you left our shores, the average IQ in Austalia went up dramatically.
diggerop diggerop
I grew up in my father's shop.. He worked in the construction trade but built and worked on boats on his off-time. I had the chore of cleaning up the shop and bringing tools to him and so on until I was teenager. It was my responsibility as his son, but I enjoyed it for the most part. Then we moved closer to the beach and the shop was gone. He still had at least one boat though and almost every weekend he would take me down to the dock in his old truck and we would work on whatever wooden boat he had at the time, or we took it fishing. After finishing high school, I moved out on my own. I was drafted into the Army for 2 years at 19.. After that, college on the GI bill and off to a career completely unrelated to woodworking for 32 years. Before retiring, I began collecting up serious woodworking tools. I'd always had a radial arm saw, band saw and hand tools to do work around the house, build fences, sheds so on, but never the tools for fine woodworking. Since retirement, I've done as much as I can to learn all I can about wood working. I've taken almost all of the cabinetmaking and woodworking classes at our local Junior college, joined the local woodworking society, read many books on fine woodworking, watched many DVDs and gained experience. Woodworking is a passion with me. Although its not my only retirement past-time, it is the one I spend at least a few hours everyday pursuing. I am a fine woodworker. I love building furniture. I love working with hardwood. I measure distances with calipers, if I can. I use AutoCAD. I love using hand tools and planes and with practice my skills are improving. As for my father, now 85, well he always has some small thing he wants me to build for him out of wood, which I enjoy doing, or he brings over something that we repair together. He trained me well. Life is good..

jim_hall snipped-for-privacy@nospamsuddenlink.net says...

Sure sounds it. Good post.

Woodworking helps the economy. I used to live in an apartment with sawdust embedded into the carpet. I had to wait until the neighbor's cars were gone so I could fire up my router. I was forced into buying a house with a huge walkout basement and the addiction was the cause. I use pine, fir, oak, cherry, maple, butternut, dogwood, walnut and the list goes on. I never bought maghogany, either because I did not see it or did not have enough money to buy it.